Question on running a reso guitar through a DI/preamp

Delmont

• Members

Hey!

I just got a used BBE Sonic Maximizer DI/preamp stompbox at a very good price. It gets great reviews, and it makes my folk guitar sound fantastic. So it's a keeper.

The problem is my squareneck resonator guitar. The BBE makes the reso sound shrill and feedbacky and has a lot of strange overtones. (The reso's K&K spider bridge pickup through my Fishman Platinum Stage preamp sounds fine.)

The reso is much LOUDER than the folk guitar. Dialing the BBE's treble and mids all the way down and dialing the gain and volume knobs way down helps. But it still doesn't sound great yet, and it doesn't sound much like my reso anymore. (The Fishman Platinum Stage captures the resonator's original reso tone.)

What might help? An EQ? Another device? Or should I just hold onto the Fishman and dedicate it to the reso?

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

• Members
just hold onto the Fishman and dedicate it to the reso...why mess with it if you liked how it sounded?

Because it's very hard to use. The knobs aren't in a logical order, the type is way too small, it's too hard to tell where the knobs are set, and it's not heavy enough. The BBE has big print, the knobs are set up logically, the knobs have big dots telling me what they're dialed to, and it's about three pounds, so it stays put. Not only that, it also has foot switches, including a mute.

And as I say, it makes my folk guitar sound great. So I want to figure out how to tame it for the reso. Someone suggested putting a graphic EQ between the reso and BBE. A friend with a PA invited me to swing by Thursday to try things out in his garage.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Archived