VOM1T July 2017

garthman

• Members

Hello all.

VOM time again. Let's hear some music.

My submission this month is a Dylan song called "Tomorrow Is A Long Time". He recorded it in 1962 for the "Witmark Demo" and sang it at his New York Town Hall concert in April 1963.

"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" by Bob Dylan

https://app.box.com/s/0nn5z3qm1vn3jrleedwsaieo1o49q3se

One take. Played on my nylon strung Ovation-type deepbowl. Vocal and guitar recorded simultaneously as separate tracks via an Avid Mbox then mixed down to a mono track.

• Members

Here's an old Pat Ballard tune thats been recorded over and over again, mostly by female vocal trios.

My challenge is always to not rush it but I struggle with that.

So here it is- Mister Sandman.

[video=youtube_share;y1ywZgYMzi4]

• Members

garthman - Well done. Hard to go wrong with Dylan.

Queequeg - Very nice. I could almost hear the Andrews Sisters.

catscurlyear - Great job and that Tanglewood sounds really nice. I do miss your singing though. Maybe next time. ;)

extollo - Great as usual. I agree with your assessment of the song as well; such a lovely melody juxtaposed against the theme of the lyrics.

• Members

We've gotten a lot of rain so when I play to the setting sun each evening on an otherwise clear nice this one seemed appropriate.

xgU-HkT3cXU

Thanks to maplebaby for uploading a lesson on this song to the Yiutubez. I screwed up the ending and then had to shoo a skeeter.

• Members

nice one man ,i have trouble with rushing tunes ,3 different approaches that can help me with instrumentals i think are 1. metronome. 2. learn the lyrics and melody and sing along while playing .if you are performing or recording at the time just sing in your head, you can tell if your rushing by the flow of the lyrics , 3. count ,that tune i`d probs count 1/8 notes for this tune ,1and 2 and 3 and 4 and . all the way through , it`s a pain in the butt ,but has benefits keeping you flowing when you are all over the fretboard..

• Members
Hello all.

VOM time again. Let's hear some music.

My submission this month is a Dylan song called "Tomorrow Is A Long Time". He recorded it in 1962 for the "Witmark Demo" and sang it at his New York Town Hall concert in April 1963.

"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" by Bob Dylan

https://app.box.com/s/0nn5z3qm1vn3jrleedwsaieo1o49q3se

One take. Played on my nylon strung Ovation-type deepbowl. Vocal and guitar recorded simultaneously as separate tracks via an Avid Mbox then mixed down to a mono track.

Hi Howard ,great song choice and performance ,have you changed your recording method this month ,it sounds clearer.

• Members

Thanks, Cats. Yes - well spotted. Gone is the old computer mic to be replaced by a good dynamic one. That and my electro-acoustic guitar fed into an Avid Mbox (the mic and Mbox being pressies from some very kind friends). I recorded the vocal and guitar simultaneously but as separate tracks then mixed them down to a mono track to upload to Box.

• Members

Thanks, Mark. Actually it was "tonedr" who did a tutorial on this and I'm only playing the first half - and I'm playing it all wrong too. TBH I just noodle with it and try to make it ring out because I just love to hear the guitar ring out chords with all open strings. I don't care that the song falls apart; I'm just lost in the moment.

• Members
We've gotten a lot of rain so when I play to the setting sun each evening on an otherwise clear nice this one seemed appropriate. . . .

. . . Thanks to maplebaby for uploading a lesson on this song to the Yiutubez. I screwed up the ending and then had to shoo a skeeter.

I think you did very well. Certainly better than I can do. I think Jimmy would approve.

Archived