Maple As A Tonewood?

maplebaby

• Members

Love a lot of the leftfield woods. Lots of good, underrated, beautiful and nice sounding stuff out there. Maple, sure. Used to have three maple guitars, sold one, still have two. Magic is more in the construction, than the material. Good material paired with gob{censored}e construction will lead to inferior results. Good construction and production leads to good results.

Hell, Taylor built a guitar out of palletwood. Lowden uses old Whyskey barrels. Oak, of course. Still works.

• Members

thanks gentlemen for the responses - and i totally agree with the wisdom shared.

When i think of a J200 i picture a maple version in my head for some reason. Great point about the 'pallet' guitar! 'Good construction and production leads to good results' says it all.

• Members

Maple is the traditional choice for archtops, mandolins, bowed instruments for exactly the reasons you cite. Another interesting trend is Taylor's use of maple for the 600 series - one of their big arguments is that it is totally sustainable (and US sourced). There is also an interesting development in forestry where they are trying to "clone" the figure that we all admire in maple - apparently it only happens in some trees and you don't know if you've got it until you cut down the tree. Again, there is a lot of discussion about maple on Taylors website and their little quarterly magazine.

I've built three guitars out of maple but they have all been laminated so the actual wood has little to do with the sound - its all about the appearance and tradition (plus, they are all electrics)

IMG_3584_zpsvqp6ngma.jpg

IMG_3425_zps1bkjwkcu.jpg

Also built a solid maple mandolin, I think it matters on these

IMG_0412.jpg

• Members
Some people say Maple is too bright or even harsh - i've never felt that way. Any other Maple guitar players here?

I play a Gibson J 185 here and there, and it has a marvelous tone. I bought the 185 new some 24 years ago. It was the first year the J185 was back in production since the late 1950's.

Not mine, but they look like this. I was thinking I could use a J185 12 string, which are a little rare.

lg_d499b9fb12d901f9b9f8060f7faaec18.jpg

• Members

Lovely tune well played as usual. Years ago I lusted after an Aria-made Conn maple dreadnought. I never bought it though. There's a local guy, a Catholic priest, who plays bluegrass. He's primarily a banjo player but he also has a sweet Gallagher maple dread. Unfortunately, I can't find a pic of one.

A buddy of mine used to have a maple 70s Guild Jumbo that was just an outstanding guitar. I did an album years ago where the producer rented a pair of Taylors for the project - both were maple (a six and a twelve) and both sounded fantastic. At NAMM this past January, one of the guitars that hit me hardest was a Gibson Dove - but it was waaay too ornate for a daily player, and way over my budget too.

I know this is the acoustic forum, but since the topic is maple guitars, I'll point out that my Ric 610 is all-maple too. I definitely appreciate the tone of a good maple guitar, and always have. If I was in the market for a really nice acoustic, it's one of the first wood types I'd consider; in fact, I'd say it would be more likely I'd get a maple-bodied one over any other wood type at this point.

• Members
A buddy of mine used to have a maple 70s Guild Jumbo that was just an outstanding guitar. I did an album years ago where the producer rented a pair of Taylors for the project - both were maple (a six and a twelve) and both sounded fantastic. At NAMM this past January' date=' [b']one of the guitars that hit me hardest was a Gibson Dove[/b] - but it was waaay too ornate for a daily player, and way over my budget too.

I know this is the acoustic forum, but since the topic is maple guitars, I'll point out that my Ric 610 is all-maple too. I definitely appreciate the tone of a good maple guitar, and always have. If I was in the market for a really nice acoustic, it's one of the first wood types I'd consider; in fact, I'd say it would be more likely I'd get a maple-bodied one over any other wood type at this point.

I haven't seen a Gibson Dove in a shop is a really long time.

Maple records so nicely with out getting boomy on the low bass end. It tends to remain nice in tight, with mids that kind of pop out.

However when I am looking for a particular tone, it's not always about the wood, it's about how the whole package and how it comes together.

Sometime a small parlor mahogany guitar with a boxy plunky sound is just what the doctor ordered.

Just my 2 cents

I was at Gibson's site a while back just window shopping, and they are using some wood called Acacia on the Dove. I think it's like Koa, but I have no idea. All I know is, the guitar looked was very eye catching.

I haven't seen a Gibson Dove in a shop is a really long time.

There's apparently three different models in the current Gibson lineup:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...om-Acacia.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...ne-Custom.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...ght-Quilt.aspx

....I only saw one at NAMM - but it was gorgeous...

SSDFQCGH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't justify a four to six thousand dollar acoustic purchase ATM... but if I ever won the lottery, I'd hit that maple Doves In Flight so hard the acorn would feel it. :lol:

Maple records so nicely with out getting boomy on the low bass end. It tends to remain nice in tight, with mids that kind of pop out.

I agree - and if it's used in a jumbo body, you can get a nice balance of bass too.

However when I am looking for a particular tone, it's not always about the wood, it's about how the whole package and how it comes together.

Sometime a small parlor mahogany guitar with a boxy plunky sound is just what the doctor ordered.

There really is no single best "acoustic guitar sound" - it's all dependent on the musical context.

One of the reasons why I'd want to go with a maple-bodied acoustic next is because I already have a very nice mahogany-bodied dreadnought, and a couple of small-bodied guitars... so a maple dreadnought or jumbo (or something with a rosewood back) would give me something I really like, but don't already have.

• Members

There's apparently three different models in the current Gibson lineup:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...om-Acacia.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...ne-Custom.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acous...ght-Quilt.aspx

....I only saw one at NAMM - but it was gorgeous...

SSDFQCGH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't justify a four to six thousand dollar acoustic purchase ATM... but if I ever won the lottery, I'd hit that maple Doves In Flight so hard the acorn would feel it. :lol:

I agree - and if it's used in a jumbo body, you can get a nice balance of bass too.

There really is no single best "acoustic guitar sound" - it's all dependent on the musical context.

One of the reasons why I'd want to go with a maple-bodied acoustic next is because I already have a very nice mahogany-bodied dreadnought, and a couple of small-bodied guitars... so a maple dreadnought or jumbo (or something with a rosewood back) would give me something I really like, but don't already have.

This to me has the wow eye candy appeal.

SSDOCAGH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

• Members

I've had some electric maple laminates and a maple laminate dread (yuk!), and I have a spruce and maple mando and a maple laminate squareneck.

It can be shrill - not generally my first choice in wood. But it depends on the instrument itself, how it's amplified, who and what you're playing with, and how you play.

Archived