Yamaha LL16 (NGD)

strayGoat

• Members

So I've had this git for a week now, and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I'd purchased a J-45 a few months back (I find that I need to have a dread of some kind in my tiny herd), and I simply cannot get comfortable with the short scale, so I'm selling it. Would have waited until after the sale to buy the LL16, but there were not many in stock, strangely, so I decided not to wait.

I love *almost* everything about the 16. The only knock I'd give it is the non-scalloped bracing. Otherwise, some here will think I'm insane, but I compare this guitar very favorably against a Larrivee D60 I owned several years back. The Larri was possibly the prettiest guitar I've ever owned, with perfect fit and finish. It was also similarly overbuilt - with non-scalloped bracing. Tonally, I think the best I could say for that guitar was that it sounded like a guitar. It sounded *good,* just not, I felt, as good as it should have sounded at that price. It was an extremely comfortable player, but I just couldn't justify the cost of it in relation to its tonal quality, so I sold it. I actually love the tone of the Yamaha - it's just a bit on the quiet side, though I can live with that just fine as I don't think I'll be performing again anytime soon, and even if I do, it does have a UST. Fit and finish are flawless, and I love the 5-piece satin neck (I really do not like gloss necks, a la Gibson).

I would stop short of claiming that this guitar is the tonal equal of an HD28. Nevertheless, it sounds great, plays great, is all solid (the box, that is) and put together with flawless attention to detail. Incredible bang for buck.

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. I haven't found an LL16 locally (St. Louis but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough; to be honest, I rarely visit music stores unless I want/need something) but I've heard great things about them. Please post pics when you can. :thu:

Archived