NGD Recording King Dirty Thirties Solid Top Single O Satin

epi56ebony

• Members
It boggles my mind that they can make a guitar' date=' ship it across the Pacific, pay import duty, make profit and overhead for the distributor and a couple of middle guys, and sell it for a hundred bucks.[/quote']

The mind boggling part is how little of that goes toward labor, about 1/10 what US workers make.

• Members

The mind boggling part is how little of that goes toward labor, about 1/10 what US workers make.

It's all relative, Deep. The rate of pay may seem low to we Westerners but it may well be a good rate in the Far East. And, of course, globalization of manufacturing causes job losses for us. It's called Capitalism.

• Members

It's all relative, Deep. The rate of pay may seem low to we Westerners but it may well be a good rate in the Far East. And, of course, globalization of manufacturing causes job losses for us. It's called Capitalism.

This isn't the right thread but I've tried on several occassions to get someone who knows the industry to talk about just how much labor, material, profit and overhead, markup, shipping and imports - all that stuff contributes to the cost of a guitar. I don't think there is much labor any more but I really don't know.

• Members
It's all relative' date=' Deep. The rate of pay may seem low to we Westerners but it may well be a good rate in the Far East. And, of course, globalization of manufacturing causes job losses for us. It's called Capitalism.[/quote']

Given that Cort moved production from Korea to China after their workers tried to strike for better wages, I'd say they probably aren't making a great living.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Congrats. I bought a Recording King ROS-16 12-fret 000-style guitar last year w/ a slotted headstock and was shocked at the quality and sound (cost me $400 sans case). I've got some pretty expensive acoustics, including a Bourgeois Vintage D, Martin D-41, Gallagher Doc Watson, Gibson Dove, etc. (and have owned a bunch of others), but the RK has become my go-to.

• Members
Congrats. I bought a Recording King ROS-16 12-fret 000-style guitar last year w/ a slotted headstock and was shocked at the quality and sound (cost me $400 sans case). I've got some pretty expensive acoustics' date=' including a Bourgeois Vintage D, Martin D-41, Gallagher Doc Watson, Gibson Dove, etc. (and have owned a bunch of others), but the RK has become my go-to.[/quote']

Similar story, none made me a better player or significantly better sounding than the Yamaha hiding in the bushes watching, waiting and laughing up his sleeve. We can be taught, eventually.

To the OP, congrats. Not a fan of burst but I'm betting that $99.00 wouldn't cover just a burst upgrade from any other builder.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Just brought this out during my shelter in place and still plays great, no buzz at all and I can use the capo without buzzing or it going out of tune.

I had another Recording King with a nice design on it but dumped it. Had some buzz and capo made it go out of tune.

This RPH-05 is still a keeper!

• Members
7 hours ago, epi56ebony said:

Just brought this out during my shelter in place and still plays great, no buzz at all and I can use the capo without buzzing or it going out of tune.

I had another Recording King with a nice design on it but dumped it. Had some buzz and capo made it go out of tune.

This RPH-05 is still a keeper!

Glad you're enjoying your Recording King. My Alvarez beater is getting a workout too. Stay safe.

Archived