Is that the most beaten up yet playable guitar you've seen????

Les Paul Lover

• Members

I've posted this on another forum, but thought I'd share it here too. Freeman, this may hurt your eyes.

Last Thursday a real nice chap popped in my local open mic night.

We were quite surprised when he took his guitar out to play..... to say the least!!!!!

20170511_234314_zpse65f7bwm.jpg

As the most eagle eyed of you will have noticed, this guitar isn't stock anymore.

A few mods have been carried out by the owner, including shaving the internal bracing to the minimum to improve resonance, sanding the body free of lacquer for the same purpose, a few extra holes for volume control and mystery switch, and the owner played in D standard, and needed to adapt the bridge saddle placement for accurate intonation.......

20170511_234321_zpsn3lvupqs.jpg

The headstock had been broken by the owner's dog who toppled it, and was fixed...... not particularly straight, but stable and solid, by the owner.

20170511_234329_zpsn4pdtfxv.jpg

All in all, the guitar looks like it's ready to become a fire starter, but it sounded great! The owner was a very tasty player too, and got some great blues going playing it - it was very absorbing!!!!

Great player, a guitar with more stories than you could tell in one night, and a great few songs..... Good night had by all!!!!

• Members

Was that a home remedy cutaway? I love what he has done: doesn't give a damn about conventional wisdom or any of that, just has at it and against all odds, came up with a winner. Perhaps doesn't have to worry about anyone stealing his mongrel either. Brought to mind guitar JJ Cale used, where he just took the back off so could try all sorts of things out easily. Sorry, no link. Open mic at a bar might explain bar code....

• Members

The cutaway shape doesn't look original, but I didn't think to look at it.

I agree with you, every single mod in this guitar has been planned and thought through, with purpose in mind.

It sure doesn't look great, but the owner gets exactly what he wants from it.

I couldn't that to my own guitar, so all the more power to him. He clearly is a tinkerer, he had another contraption on the floor with half a tambourine to amplify a rhythm beat whilst playing.

Archived