Martin Retro Strings

gardo

• Members

I haven't tried them but there was a thread about them about a year and a half ago: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/31649185-martin-retro-strings. Forum member katopp wasn't impressed. More recently there was a thread about D'Addario nickel bornze: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/31957961-d-addario-nickel-bronze-strings. Those got more love than the Retros. And no, I haven't tried those either, mainly 'cause I'm cheap. ;)

• Members

Yep, that thread is a really old one.

In short: it depends on what you are looking for. If you are after early hillbilly/folk and/or piedmont or delta blues, those strings will be on top of your wishlist. But if you after more modern tone, you will not like them.

• Members
I tried them and did not care for them; they made my Epiphone Masterbuilt sound thin. I had to use white bronze strings for the Epiphone A/E with the magnetic pickup' date=' and don't care for those unplugged either. I guess it depends on your playing style and your own ear.[/quote']

You may want to look into DR Zebras or the new D'Addario nickel bronze strings. Mag pickups respond to both.

• Members

That is a 1930 Martin 0-17 that needed its bridge reglued. I was able to do it with hot hide glue

IMG_3406_zpsimtzgoks.jpg

and when I was done the neck angle was perfect (after a mere 80 years)

IMG_3407_zpswgm8mq7q.jpg

The case was like a little time capsule - a hand embroidered strap, a couple of guitar method books (25 cents, even), a pitch pipe (80 cents), and a set of Black Diamond strings. I put a set of new ones on it and spent several lovely evenings before I had to give it back

IMG_3430_zpsfv4iuisc.jpg

Archived