NGD Again

bigald18

• Members

Hey garthman, I've owned Martins, (d28,DR1, 000-15) and my own custom d18 copy built by me. I've owned old rosewood guilds (F47), Yammie lj6, Alvarez Masterworks rosewood 000 series. Frankly, the best sounding was the Alvarez. I don't think any of the Martins were that good. But point is I've always had good guitars. I've learned that labels are unimportant as far as sound goes. Only good for resale value. I'd rather have an excellent sounding Alvarez than a poor sounding Martin. Don't buy to impress, buy to play. Blueridge, Alvarez and Guild (import) are all made at the Farida factory in China. They are are pretty much the same guitars. You'll pay the most for the Guild, next cheaper would be the Alvarez and the cheapest would be the blueridge. Bling is different but the wood and the bracing are all the same.

• Members

Thingie arrived today! Set up beautifully at factory and finish is flawless! However, tuning machines are the worst I have ever encountered. I think they are Golden Gate F2000 tuners. 14:1 ratio and very hard to turn. Gotta get some decent tuners for it. For the money I paid for guitar I can afford better ones. lol

• Members

Glad you are happy with it - looking forward to pics and clips.

Sometimes backing off the screw that holds the gear to the shaft will help, but replacement is a good idea. Spend some time with calipers and measure the shaft and bushings - they vary from brand to brand. The little mounting screws never line up, and with luck you can cover the footprint. I use either Waverly (if cost is no object) or Gotohs (which are almost as good and half the price) but I know there are others that are good too.

• Members

Actually, everyone recommends Grover 97-18 open backs. They are an almost drop in fit and if you can't get the old bushings out (which people say are very problematic to remove, you can easily enlarge the old bushing so that the post of the Grovers will fit it. Already ordered the Grovers and I'm capable of doing what needs to be done when I get them. Waverly's are way beyond my budget and while I like Gotoh tuners, they will require too much modification to install. Thanks Freeman. The git has a wonderful sound though.

• Members

"But point is I've always had good guitars. I've learned that labels are unimportant as far as sound goes. Only good for resale value. I'd rather have an excellent sounding Alvarez than a poor sounding Martin. Don't buy to impress, buy to play"

It's all music to my ears, Al. I do exactly the same.

• Members
Glad you are happy with it - looking forward to pics and clips.

Sometimes backing off the screw that holds the gear to the shaft will help, but replacement is a good idea. Spend some time with calipers and measure the shaft and bushings - they vary from brand to brand. The little mounting screws never line up, and with luck you can cover the footprint. I use either Waverly (if cost is no object) or Gotohs (which are almost as good and half the price) but I know there are others that are good too.

Geez, FK - you think the average "joe" like most-of-us is going to spend time with calipers and Bull-Moo? Measuring bushings and shafts and whatnot? Get real. You're either dreaming or you're trying to drum up business because wifey is costing you too much.

Either way, you need a reality check to those of us who aren't git-yuppies like yourself. Guys like Al (or me or a lot of us) aren't going to drop biggie bux on Waverleys but Gotohs are a maybe.

Now let's come up with a viable solution for the proletariat, not you Washington Snobbies. (I know you well, Freeman, very well indeed, and yes, you're a Farking snob, so don't try to BS anyone here, I'll happily call BS on you for all the world to read, you damn wanker)

• Members

Samilyn, don't attack Freeman! I'll give you a spanking! I own calipers and bull-moo! Put the Grovers in yesterday. Didn't even change the bushings. The grovers shaft is exact same diameter as the junk that was on it. Fit was perfect right down to the screw hole spacing. They work great.

• Members
Samilyn, don't attack Freeman! I'll give you a spanking! I own calipers and bull-moo! Put the Grovers in yesterday. Didn't even change the bushings. The grovers shaft is exact same diameter as the junk that was on it. Fit was perfect right down to the screw hole spacing. They work great.

Cool on the Grovers. They're great machines.

But spanking???? Really, dear boy, I never knew you were into that sort of thing???? :rolleyes:

Archived