can i change neck angle on a bolt on neck with washers?

TheForkWigger

• Members

The bolts in a bolt on neck pulls the tenon into the mortise but there is a gap at the end. The thing that actually sets the angle is the contact of the cheeks of the neck heel against the body of the guitar. To change the angle you need to sand or chisel the cheeks. The best way to do it is to put a piece of sandpaper in the gap, press it lightly closed (more on the end that you want to remove) and pull the sandpaper out. The technique is called "flossing" the joint. Do both sides evenly or you'll change the center line of the neck. You may have to deal with the angle of the neck extension which is usually glued down.

This applies to almost all bolt on necks with the exception of the Taylor NT neck. In that case the angle is set by two little shims - one in the heel and one in the extension.

IMG_1968.jpg

• Members

Its a good idea to put tape on the body but (1) it makes it harder to pull the sandpaper and (2) it can add some thickness to the body which makes the fit slightly less accurate. If you are careful and roll the outside edge of the sandpaper away from the body it probably isn't necessary.

I'm using pretty coarse sandpaper in that picture since its rough fitting the neck, for a reset I would probably use something more like 120 or 180 grit.

Also, something that I forgot to mention in the previous post is that by removing material at the heel you will move the neck slightly into the body which will have a slight affect on intonation. Usually on a reset you are removing material on the bottom of the heel (you want to increase the neck angle) so the frets don't really move but on a new guitar like this it is something to be aware of.

• Members

No! Don't use washers!

On an electric, like a Strat or Tele, just shim the neck. Lots of people do, and it won't change your tone at all. You can probably Google a lot of how-tos.

A handy tip: Before taking the neck off, loosen the strings part-way and then capo them. That way you won't have to restring when you're done.

And you don't need to tape the body. Those folks are talking about acoustic guitars.

• Members

If it is an electric (Fender style) then almost anything, including washers, would work. My preference is to make a tapered wooden shim that fits the pocket. Usually what I do is put something like a piece of wood or binding material in one end of the pocket, replace the neck, make sure the geometry is correct, then make a shim that thickness at one end and tapering to nothing at the other. I'll use maple if I have it just cause thats what the neck is made out of.

It offends me to see a gap between the neck and body and theory says you want a tight interface between them. This can't be a good thing

IMG_3013_zpshirni0ta.jpg

• Members

I saw a strat a couple of weeks ago that had a piece of metal about 1/8 thick as a shim. It was not tapered, the guy was trying to raise the whole neck in the pocket (I just learned that when a neck is proud of the body it is called "overstand"). Anyway, seemed to work for that guitar.

There are geometry things with either an acoustic or an electric that I like to see when I'm evaluating neck angle. With an acoustic I like to see the fret plane (ie a straight edge on the frets) just hitting the top of the bridge, with an electric I like the fret plane to hit the tops of the saddles in their lowest position (works for most bridges except trems). Anyway, I assume the OP knows why he wants to change the neck angle.

Going back to the my original picture of the acoustic, it is possible to calculate just how much needs to be removed from the cheeks by taking careful measurements.

Archived