D'addario Nickel Bronze Strings?

Grant Harding

• Members

Just bought a few sets of D'addario Nickel Bronze strings because I want a new uncoated string option (in rust proof packaging) for certain situations. They're on special at Shoreline too... :)

I wasn't quite prepared for the fact that they're silver colour rather than the nice bronze/brass look that I'm used to. I've decided I don't mind that at all.

The strings themselves are really nice. Much brighter than a new set of Elixirs, but still sound balanced. DR Sunbeams are the strings that come to mind. No idea how long they'll last, but will try to remember to report back.

I really notice the lack of coating on strings now. All uncoated strings feel a bit grippy to me now that I'm used to skipping and sliding along over the Teflon coating.

• Members

Not sure the coating on strings is PTFE (Teflon). It's some kind of ployrazmataz but Teflon would be expensive and it would be very fragile. The stuff is soft and it wouldn't adhere well to the strings because, well, it's Teflon. Nothing sticks to it, meaning, it doesn't stick to anything unless baked on above 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't think D'Addario heat-treats their products and applies Teflon in the process.

But, if Teflon is what you want then try this stuff. It's Finger-Eze on steroids. A little dab on a soft cotton cloth and voila, instant banana peel strings - whoopie!

4 Ounce Bottle, Synthetic with PTFE 42157347 - MSC

• Members

I just assumed, since I thought Gore-Tex was invented by stretching Teflon or something like that. :D

I've tried some lube type products (settle down), but they're too much. I like the texture of all the coated strings I've tried (Elixir, Cleartone, D'Addario, DR) except the DR, which were almost squeaky and hard to play.

• Members

I'm a d'Addario man myself. Good ol EJ16 for the acoustics, J74 for my mandolins. Stepped up the the EXP 110 on electrics. and one of my jazz boxes has Chromes.

The coated strings seem to last longer, but seem a bit brighter.

Buy the Pro Pack, which are 10 set in a box and they are under 4 - 5 dollars a set.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Archived