Bob Dylan

Idunno

• Members

Helluva contributor to the realm of musical originality and super-muse of his generation. I think many, many people owe their wallets to this guy. I can't think of another artist who has a body of work as weighty as Dylan's, nor a catalog that has spanned so many years. But, he is a music man first and man of letters second, albeit a close 2nd. Many know he's been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, which comes with a badge (provide your own polish please) and some booty ($900K), with the latter forfeited if he doesn't pony up an acceptance speech. He's expressed his desire to accept the award though he did not attend the formal award ceremony.

Some people have a problem with the award category because it isn't for music, which it should be, instead of literature, so I suppose I'm in that camp. I imagine Dylan gazing at the Nobel Committee thinking they are all daft, as well as perhaps a bit insulting that his music was not the focal point of their perception of him. Personally, if I were in his position I'd decline the award as graciously as possible and instead suggest a worthy recipient directly related to literature. If anyone knows anything about Dylan he is an exceedingly well read man so if anyone would know about a deserving writer he would.

Anyway, I thank him for the music and the memories.

Bob Dylan finally accepts Nobel Prize, months after ceremony - BBC News

• Members

His music has been my constant companion since I was 14 years old and, over the years, has given me a great deal of pleasure. If it wasn't for Dylan I wouldn't play guitar (sort of) and sing.

Of course he deserves the prize.

• Members
Helluva songwriter, not too great a singer tho. Dylan has written some really great songs and music, but other artists always seem to do them far better than he does.

Bob Dylan considers himself a singer first and a songwriter second.

James Taylor considers himself a songwriter first and a singer second.

this is pretty good...

[video=youtube;-FlSP0wsF5U]

It's nice when you can understand the lyrics to Bob's songs.

Archived