New DRS1 Imperfection. What should I do?

BabelFish

• Members

Hello Harmony Central!

I have just entered the world of musical instruments. I finally decided to purchase my first guitar. I picked up a new Martin DRS1 which I love. I purchased the display model from my local Guitar Center so I got a little discount. The problem was that after I got home, and the excitement wore off, I noticed that the neck strap knob was screwed in crookedly at the factory. Other than that and a couple pick wear on the guard, the thing looks mint. My question is whether I should care about the knob or should I return it? The knob seems more of a factory defect as opposed to wear. I called the Martin company and they did confirm via pictures (attached) that it does appear to be screwed in a little crookedly. I took it back to Guitar Center to have their tech look at it and he didn't want to touch it do to "now being the last person to have touched it". I feel at this price point, these types of problems should not be a factor but maybe I am wrong/picky. I am sure that I will care less as time goes on but right now it is annoying me. Would you be annoyed with this? Looking forward to your opinions to balance mine.

• Members

That guitar didn't come from CFM with a neck strap knob. Someone installed that after the fact, and obviously botched the job. If it's really just a "display model" that means that someone at that GC installed it. GC is not known for hiring the most competent or motivated people.

Makes me wonder what the threaded hole underneath the knob looks like. Could be a stripped hole that someone just retapped the screw in at an angle to cover up the mess. Could be that some clown just drilled it crooked to start with.

To me, my willingness to live with it would depend on what the wood and hole underneath the knob looks like, and how much of a "little discount" I got.

• Members

Why are you thinking this didn't comes from the factory like this? When I go to the Martin site and look at DRS2 and other models, I do see those knobs on them. I will admit that the 1 picture of the DRS1 doesn't seem to have it but the rest of the Road Series models have them. Also every picture I see of a DRS1 online shows the knobs on the guitar.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/road-series/drs2/

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/road-series/drs1/

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/road-series/000rs1/

https://www.google.com/search?q=martin+drs1&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipt9ru74HTAhXl34MKHcjFCGAQ_AUICCgD&biw=1680&bih=926

Is it really up to the store to install those knobs as compared to the manufacturer? Thanks in adance.

Also I received ~13% off.

• Members

Historically, Martin guitars did not come with a neck strap knob. Based on those pictures, it would appear that at least some of them do now. I was going by the picture at the Martin Guitar Site, the same photo you linked to. My D-28 doesn't have one, but it's a bit older. I don't recall ever seeing any standard Martin coming from the factory with one. IDK about the other models like yours.

Ask the people at GC about it. (on second thought, you'll have to take any answer you get there with a grain of salt or two.) Look at another Road Series guitar or two and see if they have one, and if they are also crooked.

Also, you didn't say what the ~13% off was off of. 13% off of what GC charges ain't necessarily a very good price.

• Members

Looks like they were just trying to make sure the button found the thicker part of the heel. I don't see how that would justify a large discount. If you use a strap it'll cover it. If you don't you can unscrew it and fill the hole if it bugs you.

I thought GC went belly up!?!?

• Members

First things first, congratulations on your new guitar - good choice. Welcome to HCAG - another good choice.

I have conflicting feelings about your dilemma. Whether the strap button was installed by Martin or GC, it is pretty shoddy worksmanship. It doesn't hurt the guitar structurally and should work fine, but it would bug me. The response of the GC "tech" is also unfortunate but I guess, not surprising. Its too bad that GC just didn't do the right thing and fix it (and I would be perfectly happy with it fixed, as long as they did it correctly).

The list price on that guitar is a grand, street prices are right at $749 - 759, including GC's price on new stock. If you got 13 percent off of that (ie $660) and that included the original owner warranty I would say that is a pretty good deal and I would either live with the strap button or fix it yourself. Fixing is simply a matter of drilling out the threads and gluing in a dowel, then redrilling the hole for the screw. Done properly it will be as strong as the original neck heel and the strap button will hide the hole.

• Members

Sorry for the lacking information about the numbers. Some forums don't like price talk. It was listed at 749, so I got % off of that. It is sold as new and carries the full warranty. I purchased the display model since they were out of stock and were not sure when more would be coming in. The unit looks normal but does have a little wear on the pick guard from people playing it. I have all parts minus the original box. Also, the discount had nothing to do with the knob. I only noticed that after I got home.

If I have it fixed, does that "hurt" the resale value going forward? I hear Martins retain their value very well. I am still within the first 45 days so I could try to return it and wait for more to come in. I am just not sure if all of this is worth the effort.

• Members

IF i WERE YOU i WOULD BRING IT BACK TO GC FOR EITHER EXCHANGE WHEN THEY GET THEM IN OR A REFUND. THERE IS NO REASON YOU SHOULD HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT DEFECT. EVERYONE SAYS IT WONT EFFECT THE GUITAR STRUCTURALLY BUT i HAVE MY DOUBTS ABOUT THAT. THE SCREW AT THAT ANGLE WILL BE WANTING TO PULL OUT.. IT SHOULD GO IN PERPENDICULAR TO THE SURFACE OF THE WOOD. REPAIRS IN HOLES AND REDRILLING TYPICALLY ARE WEAKER THAN THE ORIGINAL HOLE... WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN THE SCREW FAILS TO HOLD WHILE YU ARE PLAYING? DISPUTE ME IF YOU LIKE BUT I'VE WORKED WITH WOOD FOR MANY YEARS AND KNOW THAT THIS REPAIR WOULD BE VERY UNPREDICTABLE.

• Members

Believe it or not, it looks like it's normal for that guitar. Here's a screen capture from Sweetwater's site. Look carefully at the enlarged pic on the right. The strap button is installed at an angle. Why, I don't know.

fetch?filedataid=124011

• Members
… I am just not sure if all of this is worth the effort.

Do you like the sound of the guitar?

Do you like the way it feels when you play it?

Does it play in tune?

Is the alignment of the strap button important to you?

• Members
First things first, congratulations on your new guitar - good choice. Welcome to HCAG - another good choice.

I have conflicting feelings about your dilemma. Whether the strap button was installed by Martin or GC, it is pretty shoddy worksmanship. It doesn't hurt the guitar structurally and should work fine, but it would bug me. The response of the GC "tech" is also unfortunate but I guess, not surprising. Its too bad that GC just didn't do the right thing and fix it (and I would be perfectly happy with it fixed, as long as they did it correctly).

The list price on that guitar is a grand, street prices are right at $749 - 759, including GC's price on new stock. If you got 13 percent off of that (ie $660) and that included the original owner warranty I would say that is a pretty good deal and I would either live with the strap button or fix it yourself. Fixing is simply a matter of drilling out the threads and gluing in a dowel, then redrilling the hole for the screw. Done properly it will be as strong as the original neck heel and the strap button will hide the hole.

This and I would fix it, cause it would drive me nuts for decades to come.

• Members

Um, I tie off at the headstock. No way would I trust a little 50-cent wood screw through a strap button at that location in a $700.00+ instrument, even if it's properly driven. Besides, I don't like the guitar strap running down my shoulder and under the neck at that location. Asking for marring to the finish by the strap in that configuration. I prefer it extended out to the headstock and completely away from me. The other end is a strap button/cord jack that extends through the tail block.

Like FretFiend mentions, I'd get the maker's opinion about how the screw is driven and go from there. It would not be an issue at all to me but you brought it here so it must be to you.

• Members

This is getting almost as good as bridge pins...time for Freeman to do a study using his own guitars to see how many will drop in failure from the screws as compared to how many bent necks you will get by tying off at the head.:lol:

• Members

Wow, I never knew this question would receive so many responses. Thanks for everyones thoughts on this matter. To answer some of the questions asked:

1. FretFiend: Though I might not have emphasized the comment, I did mention in the original post that when I contacted Martin the rep there said he felt it looked slightly off. To add more to that aspect, he actually had a DRS1 in his cubical and said his didn't look like that on his. I am not sure which year his DRS1 was or if that matters.

2. DeepEnd's post was very interesting. Could it be that different batches/years/etc are made differently? The picture he posted from Sweetwater looks exactly how mine does. For what it is worth, mine is a 2016.

3. onelife: I love how it sounds. I am really enjoying playing it and from what I can tell it does play in tune. I am not really sure if the knob is all that important to me. Part of my reasoning for asking was to find out if it should be. :) It was more of a "first" guitar look over and noticed that this didn't seem right but, in all honesty, I am fairly new to the instrument world.

4. Freeman Keller: I will look into the patching aspect to see if that will work

I do like the instrument and how it sounds. Alot of what I read says that once you find an instrument that you like, you should keep it. I would be concerned that if I returned it, I might not like the sound of the next one I got. I am not sure how often that happens that within the same maker and model, you like the sound of one unit but not the other. I might just stick with this one and make it work.

• Members

For me, I would install it correctly, as Freeman suggested. There have been many deal-breakers on guitars I've bought, but a strap-pin was not one of them. If you like the tone and playability, this Martin will carry you pretty much as far as you want to go, and is a pretty damn good starter instrument. Welcome, and happy learning!

• Members

Personally I'd take it out, reorient the appropriate sized drill bit in the existing hole and install it the right way. On a sub $1K (regardless of the name on the headstock) I wouldn't worry about resale. The only hitch in the plan would be not knowing where the metal registry pin is inside the neck. That may be what happened here.

Archived