Bi_curious

poppytater

• Members

It certainly won't hurt, Pops. As a general principle I think it's a good idea to play different guitars. I play acoustic (a few different models of varying sizes, specs, etc including a 12 string), electric and classical guitars. It's all good..

• Members

Ive always believed it makes you a better player - In my case when i was a kid , i played the electric

at night when my parents were sleeping -so not to wake them . working and going to school was hard enough

without being able to play my guitar when i wanted to -loved that Tele !

• Members

I've played acoustics for 40+ years - almost totally solo fingerstyle stuff. I want to play something you would recognize as a song. I built an electric a couple of years ago (not sure why) and have never really learned to play it as an electric. Yeah, I can noodle around with pentatonic solos but since I down play with anyone playing rhythm that most of my "soloing" just turns out to be riffs. Its good for my pick control and fretboard knowledge and all of that but I never really bonded with the electric guitar.

Last year I built a couple of jazz style electric guitars for very good jazz playing friends and this fall I got bored and built one for myself. That has forced me to completely start over guitar playing - I'm now truly learning the fretboard, some music theory, how chords are composted and move around. I've moved from I, IV, V to ii, V , I, and started trying to play those wonderful chord with names that can't be pronounced. I wish I had done this 20 years ago.

IMG_3577_zpssjybicno.jpg

• Members

I've played both for years, but am for the first time considering getting a nylon-strung classical style guitar after playing one at somebody else's house and realising how much fun finger-picking is, and how much better it is on a guitar that's made for it.

• Members
I've played both for years, but am for the first time considering getting a nylon-strung classical style guitar after playing one at somebody else's house and realising how much fun finger-picking is, and how much better it is on a guitar that's made for it.

Good idea. I exited electric years ago and then steel string acoustic just under 2 years ago, opting for nylon, and play a Yamaha classical with a cut and a factory system installed. I run it through a Fishman SA220 and can honestly say it's more fun than I've had in many years.

• Members

Excellent. Enjoy.

• Members
I spend equal time on acoustic and electric gits. Help or hurt my guitar path?

If you really want to mix it up a bit, grab a lap slde. Maybe a resonator.

I use a Stevens bar when I play mine. I must admitted I kinda suck at it, but it's fun.

You can set up any guitar for lap slide work.

[video=youtube;MspC_S-t1S8]

Nels Cline works it, but for the most part he makes a lot of noise on lap slide, but not here.

[video=youtube;v4_O4Sj-XTs]

• Members

I hadn't played the Les Paul clone in a month or so (kind of smitten by the jazzy new blond) so I got it out last night. Reverted back to my pentatonic riffs but it was fun (and so easy) to play. Heavy tho, LOL

Put it away and got the tri cone out - what a difference - heavy strings, high action - just so many ways to play a guitar.

And yes, a little lap sliding..

IMG_0681.jpg

(not me, I built two Wessenborns a couple of years ago, this is the owner of one of them)

I've got dozens of guitars, but I still need to get a decent nylon string - thanks for the reminder! ;)

• Members

Probably no harm to play both acoustic and electric. I do: actually resonator and electric. I also play piano and pipe organ (a recent thing). If I could re-twist the mobius strip of my life, though, I'd focus *all* my mojo on either piano or guitar. Because time spent playing piano is time *not* playing guitar. and time playing, ultimately, is what makes us better players.

Archived