NGD Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy and some questions/complaints

missedmyexit

• Members

fetch?filedataid=123812fetch?filedataid=123814fetch?filedataid=123813

So the good news went out for my 40th Birthday and got myself this beautiful guitar. Traded in my Westerly D62 for it. The guitar is fantastic great mellow tone great size very good base and mids. Really a different sound from other guitars a played. I love it.

The bad part is they couldn't find the case so gave me the case for a CE-7? The case is chipboard and didn't have the right endpin. Looking up online the right case is one of the high quality airplane style cases. So the questions is live and let live or call them back and demand they figure out how to get me the right case? My main issue is the cheapness of the case and how tight of a fit it is. Also I did get it at a negotiation discount but this was before they found out they don't have the case.

• Members

Lovely guitar, congrats and happy birthday. According to Martin's website it comes with a "molded hardshell" case - you should insist on the correct case that is designed for it. If you prefer to purchase a quality case, I have very good luck with TKL - they typically run between $100 and 200. My 12 fret 00 fits loosely in their 7800 (I think, will confirm if you are interested) classical case - it should fit a 14 fretter.

edit to add - how come they can't find the correct case? It was shipped from Martin in a case, they probably took it out to put it on display. Most shops stack the cases in a back room, usually which the model number and maybe serial of the guitar it belongs to. I've tried to buy some of these to fit my guitars, my local shop will not sell them.

• Members

If that guitar comes with a case. I think the own you a case.

Call Martin, I bet you get a case in days.

The weird thing is, I have seen Jeff Tweedy a ton of times and have never seen him play this so called signature Martin guitar.

Looks great though.

Note: Carlton Cases are really nice.

• Members

Guitars are usually shipped without the end pin in place - if you drop it on the butt end there is a chance that the pin will split the guitar (even in a good case). The pin hole should be reamed (5 degree) to fit the pin - its the same reamer used for bridge pins. However a Martin pin should fit without any work.

Ironically, every time I install a pickup I just throw the end pin in the case, otherwise I would have a drawer full and could send you one.

• Members

Yep I am used to the endpin being in the case. It's just strange I can't get it to fix without alot of effort which makes me concerned about stressing the wood. I do have a couple different endpins so all set there not sure if the hole was reamed or if it's just smaller then usual. Maybe the endpin is smaller on this model and I am trying the "normal" size pins? I did notice it has vintage style tuners ect. Since I have the wrong case I have the wrong endpin.

• Members

If you wanted to PM me your snail mail address I would send you my reamer and I'll look thru my box of pins and stuff to see if I have some black end pins that might fit, Also, remember that if you are ever going to put a pickup in it the installer will ream the hole to be cylindrical to fit the jack.

• Members

I think so but I also know that Martin ships with their bridge pins slightly undersized and they tend to stand a little bit proud of the bridge. I once read that Chris Martin said that they expect their dealers to seat them when the do the setup for their customer when they by the guitar. As you know, Martins tend to ship with a slightly high action, CFM said that was so the dealer could lower to the customers requirements.

About the only time I worry about the endpin is when I have to pull it and install a jack.

Do your other pins fit? Here is that correct pin from Martin - I was hoping it would give the specifications (diameter and taper)

https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/martin-inlaid-bridge-endpins-blackwhite/c-24/p-195

Acording to Bob Colosi "standard" pins are 5 degree tapered endpins (.310" underskirt diameter)

You are more than welcome to use my reamer - I'd be happy to send it to you

• Members

That 72 dollar reamer is the one that opens the 5 degree end pin hole to a cylindrical hole either 1/2 or 15/32 in diameter to fit standard jacks and is used with a drill motor. Some people try to do this with drill bits or one of those uni-bit things but having seen pictures of butchered guitars I broke down and bought this for the second time I installed a pickup. Pretty hard to justify a 70 buck tool for a 30 dollar job (unless you consider the cost of screwing it up). Since then I've installed a dozen or more jacks so its been well amortized.

That is not the tool I would sent you - mine is a tapered hand reamer that I use for bridge pins - it goes big enough that you could take a very minor cut and probably make your pin fit perfectly.

I'll also echo what Grand says - StewMac's tools are spendy but they have never failed me. I have a whole box of cheap tools that have.

• Members

About $64. :D Seriously, as Freeman says, a typical reamer like mine is tapered along its length whereas an endpin jack reamer is cylindrical beyond a certain point. Of course you can take a smallish half-round file and make a tapered hole cylindrical with a bit of effort.

• Members

So back to the case thing. Called Martin they gave me the model of the case I need and said they don't sell them direct I would have to go through the dealer. I am planning on calling the place later today and asking them to order the correct case if they can't find it. I am concerned about the pressure applied to the top of the guitar in the current case. As you see in the photo below the guitar is about a inch proud of the bottom half of the case where all my other guitars set flush with that edge. While the case closes I don't like the fit of it one bit and living in the North East the guitar is in there for most of the year when the Humidity is low.

fetch?filedataid=123865

• Members

I just looked up on the net to see what case comes with that guitar. I knew it was molded plastic one, but what did it look like.

00DBJT_case.jpg

00DBJT_case-open.jpg

How does it sit in the case?

s-l1600.jpg

So as you can see it sit high in the case and is not flush.

Personally I get the real case, not because it's better, but because it's the one that goes with the guitar.

The molded cases are lighter weight too.

• Members

One last post to close this one out. Got the new case and glad I pushed for it. The store didn't really push back at all when I called. I told them I wasn't happy with the substitute case and they ordered the right one the next day. Had the guitar for about 3 weeks now put some serious hours of playing in. I would say the sound isn't for everyone he is distinct with the small body and Mahogany top. Definitely mellow which I like especially when playing chords and single notes. However when playing notes over chords walk down ect they aren't as pronounced as my other guitars. All in all a great addition.

Archived