A book for rhythm guitar

BrokenSpades

• Members

A book?

I would suggest you play (strum) along with music you enjoy and develop your ear and inner metronome (meter) to become accustomed to strumming patterns you develop from that alone.

Not trying to disrespect the purpose of books, but music is mostly ear development which provides us the control over our hands. However, being naturally vision-tempered for every other aspect of life we incorrectly (improperly) apply it to something that belongs entirely to our aural sense, the development of which is far more necessary to making music than the eyes. There are plenty who'll step up here and stand opposite to the line I'm drawing and I understand their angle. But, they're probably not very good musicians - those who can hear something at a store and go home and play it without a written score or tab - leaving them adrift of their ears and wholly dependent on their eyes.

So, I will "strike up a knightly pose" and suggest that, whatever you do, apply your ears solidly as the basis for learning to play music assisted only by sight when absolutely necessary.

• Members

No disagreement from me, Joe, about the need to develop aural skills - but with the caveat that we mere mortals, especially at the beginning, found a few tip from books to be very handy. HST, only a couple of months after first picking up a guitar I laboriously worked out the tab of L Cohen's "The Sisters of Mercy" by repeatedly playing the vinyl album (no internet tabs in those days). But it was a labour of love that stood me in good stead.

I suppose the top prize for aural virtuosity must go to W A Mozart who at the age of 14 heard Allegri's "Miserere" (transcription of which had been forbidden by the Vatican many years earlier) sung at the Sistine Chapel then wrote it down afterwards from memory. Phew.

• Members

Absotively, Howard, and I charitably relent to the visual aids if the ear's guidance loses the hands. Similarly, all the vinyls I bought were strictly lesson plans, if you will, sacrificed at the alter of learning. I think I developed a particular lateral kink in my body from tending to that forgiving turntable.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived