Mother of Pearl/ Abalone Delay (NOAGD)

Etienne Rambert

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31937536[/ATTACH]

I finally got my old archtop shipped from overseas but it took longer than I expected - 10 days. It arrived yesterday. I had queried the shipper. He told me there was a hang-up in customs while they checked out the inlay.

Anyway, here's how it looked when it arrived.

• Members

Anyone who ships any instrument across international boundries needs to understand CITES and have the appropriate paperwork. Sorry, its just international law.

It is moderately straightforward if you jump thru the hoops - last year I sent an instrument to Austria that had CITES materials (including shell) but because I could trace the shell to being a legal by product of the seafood industry everything was OK. Its kind of interesting, my shell comes from Vietnam into the US and then to Austria.

btw - lovely guitar

edit to add, here is one of the best discussions of all things involved with importing/exporting instruments with CITES materials

http://www.luth.org/web_extras/CITES...lacey-act.html

• Members
Anyone who ships any instrument across international boundries needs to understand CITES and have the appropriate paperwork. Sorry, its just international law.

It is moderately straightforward if you jump thru the hoops - last year I sent an instrument to Austria that had CITES materials (including shell) but because I could trace the shell to being a legal by product of the seafood industry everything was OK. Its kind of interesting, my shell comes from Vietnam into the US and then to Austria.

btw - lovely guitar

edit to add, here is one of the best discussions of all things involved with importing/exporting instruments with CITES materials

http://www.luth.org/web_extras/CITES...lacey-act.html

Happy NOAGD. Glad to hear you finally got your guitar. Hope it plays as sweet as ever.

IDK what kind of inlay this particular guitar had as I originally bought it out of Binh's glass case for $225. This thing was obviously sui generis and I bought it on sight. An Aussie cursed at me later for that. He wanted it.

Binh hasn't made another w-these exact specs.I know about the inlay on my flat-tops which I bought from him. On the archtop, it was only later I had him inlay my name and mod it out w/KA pick-up, pickguard, etc. I don't know where he buys his shell material. But I didn't think my name inlay was MOP. Anyway, the inspectors examined it and shipped it to me.

It's really more of an acoustic archtop than electric. Love the plugged-in sound through my Roland amp. But the guitar has so much resonance, it feeds back like crazy if I don't back off, even w-.10 flatwounds.

• Members

If Binh ships overseas (and I know he does) then he should know the rules and follow them. He also should be able to advice foreign customers who buy a guitar and want to bring hit home. He's a good friend of the guy I get my pearl from (Andy DePaule) and Andy sure knows the drill.

• Members

I bought this in 2007, before Binh was exporting much. It had some anomalies. For one thing, the fret dots on the binding were wrong. He had dotted it like a classical guitar. It was his first archtop. A Japanese customer also pointed out to me the F-holes were too wide. He was correct but I suspect he wanted to buy it too that day. So among my first major mods, I asked Binh to put new binding on the neck. The short, fat F-holes likely contribute to its acoustic volume. I wouldn't want to touch it.

I don't know if I've met your supplier FK. Sorry.

Binh is from the Hue area. Since I only spent 13 or 14 years of my life in VN, that's a factoid I remembered.

Archived