Switching from a Martin HD-28V to an OM-42

• Members

Hi, Y'all. A few years ago I purchased a new martin hd-28v with the mod V neck. I wasn't sure about the neck at the time, it hurt my hand while playing certain chords at first, but I did grow to like the neck over time. Over time i've found that sometimes the guitar can be a bit too loud ff that makes sense, and a bit bassy, sometimes I need to switch from pick to fingers just to hear myself lol.. if that makes any sense. another thing is i find the HD a little uncomfy to play sitting down, especially my right arm. So, after playing a couple of OM style guitars (never played an OM-42 before) I've decided that the OM may be better suited to me. I would say Fingers vs pick style of playing im 40/60 respectively. So i made the choice and ordered a brand new Martin OM-42 (looks like a beauty!). I think I will prefer the size more, more comfy to play especially while sitting, the sound will be more balanced and less loud.... but it should still be plenty loud for playing at my home or with a group or 2 or 3 other acoustics. I will know soon enough what I think of it once it arrives but I was wondering if anyone here has owned or played an Martin OM-42's and what your thought are on them, how you liked them, also how you like the low profile neck vs the modified V. Do you find much of a difference in string spacing with the OM vs HD? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

• Members

A friend has an OM-42 (or is it a 45, it has pearl around the f/b extension). Anyway, lovely guitar and I think you will be very happy with yours

IMG_1962_zps56fdr3dq.jpg

I happen to be an OM sort of guy, I have two old Martin dreads that just sit in the closet (I was going to sell them but my wife pointed out that they are appreciating faster than my 401(k)). Instead of the dreads I play my little home made single and double ought guitars - the size and sound are just so much better for me.

Post pictures when you get yours

• Members

That's a really nice guitar -dont own one , but i do own a OM28v -love Martin OM's

( who doesnt ) they do take a bit of getting use to

more of a fingerstyle guitar than a strummer -but with practice it does work .

Congrats on your decision - after you played it in a bit -

give us a review !

• Members

I can understand your preference for the sound of an OM. I play dreadnoughts mainly because I'm a big guy and I look goofy playing a small guitar. (Then again, some folks say I look goofy anyway. ;)) I haven't specifically played an OM-42 but I've played enough different guitars that I can get used to pretty much whatever I'm playing. I don't think you'll have a problem. The OM-42 looks like an awesome guitar (and for the price it should be but that's for you to decide ;)). Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day. Be sure to post pics and maybe a clip or two when it arrives. :thu:

Archived