What pickup(s) would you put into a...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I'm curious about the iRig acoustic - in fact, I believe it was one of your online reviews that drew my attention to it.

I recently purchased a Yamaha LL16 acoustic guitar with what they call an SRT Zero Impact Pickup which is a passive under saddle piezo transducer.

here's some info on the guitar which includes a bit of a description of the pickup...

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...eries/feature/

when I was in the store, I plugged it directly into a Fishman amplifier and it was 'golden' (one of the reasons I bought the guitar) I run it through an LR Baggs Para Acousctic DI and get great results - it's everything Yamaha claims it to be

• Members

Phil, I never plug my acoustics in but I do install a fair number of pickups. Every installation of a K&K Pure Mini has sounded good (and the owners all seem to like them). I do a fair number of Fishman Matrix UST's and have had mixed results (in fact a customer insisted on one for a Guild 12 string, didn't like it and paid me to take it out and install a K&K). There is a K&K clone thats about half the price but I stick with the real deal.

Btw, the K&K is super simple to install (a bit figity to glue the transducers but practice before you actually do it). It is passive, you'll need a preamp or DI, you'll need to ream the end pin hole.

I have not tried any of the internal mics - only piezos.

• Members
Taylor GS Mini?

I hate piezo quack... and I greatly prefer the sound of microphones, but they're not very practical on stage. If you were me, what pickup / pickup system would you install?

I have an old GS mini myself, and there is a magnetic pick up Taylor made for it ( ES Go they call it). It just clips into the front of the sound hole. I didn't like it at all, so I did buy it. Others might like it.

You're gonna want to run a pre amp with the K&K mini, which I'm sure is no issue. Now if you absolutely have to have a mic, and feel that's the best, K&K has a Powered Trinity pick up system. Shouldn't cost you any more the what the GS Mini guitar itself. You'll love it, but like I said it's not inexpensive.

In a live setting the mic is trickled in, just enough for taste.

I have a Martin 00016RGT with the fishman blender system, which has a under saddle pick and a mic. It's my bar gigging acoustic, so I tend to shut off the mic and use a Fishman Spectra DI. The Spectra DI is amazing.

• Members

I'd just get a mag soundhole emulator pup and call it a day well spent. There's a lot of compromising sound when the agony of amplification visits you but it greatly narrows the field if Piezo is not a contender. I put a Fishman Neo-D in one guitar (hard-wired) and felt I'd done my best with that guitar. It got a little sparky sounding up the neck in the trebles but I could live with that.

Phil, I never plug my acoustics in but I do install a fair number of pickups. Every installation of a K&K Pure Mini has sounded good (and the owners all seem to like them). I do a fair number of Fishman Matrix UST's and have had mixed results (in fact a customer insisted on one for a Guild 12 string, didn't like it and paid me to take it out and install a K&K). There is a K&K clone thats about half the price but I stick with the real deal.

Btw, the K&K is super simple to install (a bit figity to glue the transducers but practice before you actually do it). It is passive, you'll need a preamp or DI, you'll need to ream the end pin hole.

I have not tried any of the internal mics - only piezos.

Couldn't you substitute this endpin jack for the one that comes with the K&K and avoid having to ream out the end pin hole? The GS Mini comes pre-reamed for that jack so that users can DIY install the optional ES Go pickup that they make and that Mikeo mentioned.

My two concerns with the K&K would be DIY installation of the transducers themselves and the lack of an onboard mic and blending system... I'm not sure I trust a piezo only system to give me the sound I want... although I have to say, the Expression System 2 in my Taylor 150e 12 string isn't too bad. How's the quack factor on the K&K?

The external preamp isn't a deal-breaking concern. I can always run it into an external preamp.

• Members

Couldn't you substitute this endpin jack for the one that comes with the K&K and avoid having to ream out the end pin hole? The GS Mini comes pre-reamed for that jack so that users can DIY install the optional ES Go pickup that they make and that Mikeo mentioned.

My two concerns with the K&K would be DIY installation of the transducers themselves and the lack of an onboard mic and blending system... I'm not sure I trust a piezo only system to give me the sound I want... although I have to say, the Expression System 2 in my Taylor 150e 12 string isn't too bad. How's the quack factor on the K&K?

The external preamp isn't a deal-breaking concern. I can always run it into an external preamp.

I don't see any reason you could use that end pin jack.

I have used Fishman Golds Plus/Matrix Plus pick ups on my Martins and Gibson for years ( like 20 plus years) and they have been trouble free. I have the professionally install by the luthier down the street. So a proper quality installation is the key.

You're gonna love this K&K Trinity. Ouch, it is costly.

[video=youtube;O2g0kdtVP2o]

A buddy of mine swears by the D Tar pick up. It 100 bucks and some change, and the the cost of the installation. He has it on a few Martins and they sound very nice. It's runs on 18 volts so it a very hot clean pick up.

The ES Go is a simple 3 minute install. doesn't look like it could fail IDK. I just thought it wasn't very natural sounding.

I have the mahogany top GS mini and the Fishman Loudbox Performer. As you can see, this is the spruce top model and the Loudbox 100. It's not bad, but nothing to write home about. Kind of reminds me of an old Robert Johnson tone.

It's kind of funny how we get picky with a low priced beach acoustic. They are that but so much more. I've done un miced song circle with mine.

[video=youtube;g84fAikCmW0]

• Members

Phil, that jack should work. Instead of having threads it mounts with three screws on the outside. I used one once when I couldn't get inside the guitar.

I don't hear the quack with the K&K but I'm a really poor person to judge the sound of pickups. What I can say is the installation is not that hard as long as you can get your hand in the sound hole and feel around the bridge plate. They include this little plastic jig thingie that you position on top of the bridge with two wooden dowels (one is a golf tee). Stick one of the sensors on with some putty (supplied), the you put gel CA (not supplied) on the sensor, slide the whole assembly inside and the dowels realign it on the underside of the bridge. I do recommend a few dry runs - its possible to get CA on your fingers, for the sensor to come off the putty, and other little maddening things, but mostly its not that bad. You do three sensors, the wires will sort of get in your way but the little jig is a pretty cool idea. Be warned that I've had a couple of guitars where I had to shave the jig to get it to fit between the X brace.

You can put the transducers in with double sticky tape - never tried it and I don't think it would work as well.

I put a K&K in an acoustic archtop - I figured while the back was off it would be simple. The little string on the jack goes out thru a hole in the end block so I can pull it in place after the back is on and the guitar is finished

IMG_1618_zps562f6ad0.jpg

You're gonna love this K&K Trinity. Ouch, it is costly.

[video=youtube;O2g0kdtVP2o]

He's a really good player, isn't he?

That does sound really nice. One of the best sounding demos I've heard so far. Thanks for posting that!

It's kind of funny how we get picky with a low priced beach acoustic. They are that but so much more. I've done un miced song circle with mine.

It's a really fun little guitar and easy to play... plus I'd rather risk using it live (and mod it with aftermarket electronics) than my '94 Taylor 510.

I like that little guitar enough that I may eventually put a totally unreasonable amount of money into it - hard case (~$100), Tronical Tuners (~$300) and a $200-$300 pickup / preamp system... we're talking about more in accessories than the guitar itself cost to begin with.

It would all be well worth it if it makes the guitar quick and easy to tune live, and if it actually sounds decent. Oh, and feedback resistance would be kind of nice to have too... ;)

I am still open to other suggestions, but I'm definitely going to look into the K&K Trinity some more. Thanks for the suggestion Mike!

• Members

I replaced the UST with a 3 transducer jjb pickup in my Fishman premium blender and I'm really happy.

It has a gooseneck internal mic and the piezo with a blend slider and preamp etc. I normally use as much of the mic as I can without feedback, but the piezo doesn't have anywhere near the plastic quack that USTs suffer from.

The Rare Earth soundhole pickup that has a second endpin jack and goes to my electric rig completes the sound options.

• Members

He's a really good player, isn't he?

That does sound really nice. One of the best sounding demos I've heard so far. Thanks for posting that!

It's a really fun little guitar and easy to play... plus I'd rather risk using it live (and mod it with aftermarket electronics) than my '94 Taylor 510.

I like that little guitar enough that I may eventually put a totally unreasonable amount of money into it - hard case (~$100), Tronical Tuners (~$300) and a $200-$300 pickup / preamp system... we're talking about more in accessories than the guitar itself cost to begin with.

It would all be well worth it if it makes the guitar quick and easy to tune live, and if it actually sounds decent. Oh, and feedback resistance would be kind of nice to have too... ;)

I am still open to other suggestions, but I'm definitely going to look into the K&K Trinity some more. Thanks for the suggestion Mike!

I liked the vid.

I was thinking about grabbing a hardshell case for mine, and there was some company making one, a very pricey 200 bucks. I think SBK makes one now, but SBK was not making them at the time.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/skb-taylor-gs-mini-guitar-hardshell-case?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUt-XOPcZwM6tmPRYR42oUEkN8ekJgdT6eywgCw3ysUoaAkNR8P8HA Q&kwid=productads-adid^156717928496-device^c-plaid^140859118581-sku^J15998000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Now, I quickly call Fishman. :D They are in MA, where I live.

I'm not sure what the sound hole size is on the GS Mini, and I do not have mine in front of me. Fishman makes a Rare Earth Blend Acoustic Guitar Pickup system. This is a sound hole pick up and pretty much drops in. This will give you the microphone you are looking for and a neodymium magnets, which I believe is a hummbucker. A small thumb wheel on the pick allows you to adjust the blend between each.

The sound hole needs to be at least 3-5/8 and the string spacing 2-1/2.

Once again it's not an inexpensive system, but less costly than the K&K I mentioned, The install looks pretty simple.

Did this guy shit off the other external mics, or not. Doesn't look like it, however IDK.

[video=youtube;SmN3H4iZ6H8]

Don't forget about the LR Baggs Anthem.

This vid compares the Fishman with the Baggs

[video=youtube;aNogI11febM]

Personally, if I put a pick up in my GS mini, I'm just going to talk to the luthier here in town, He will more than likely do a simple K&K or a Fishman. That's my guess.

Archived