I need neck advice I have a v profile and I want to know if I can round it off a liitle

Hoppy Shimko

• Members

It's a 70s Yamaha fg331 I really like the action, string spacing, tuning stability and body size but I don't like the v profile on the neck. I fingerpick and this neck is cramping me in the wrist. I wouldn't mind the removing the finish either. I like less finish. So, that's not an issue. How much strength will the neck lose? Will it be all pitchy and unstable? I don't want that. If someone doesn't help me I will crash HC and change everyone's password.

• Members

I'm sure I can do it, I just don't know what to do, how it's done, the pitfalls, etc.

When I fine myself in that position... Youtube or frets.com here I come. :)

Freeman the resident luthier here, will be along any time now. He usually has solid advice in these situations .

Paging Freeman Keller...

• Members

You could probably do it with a spokeshave and sandpaper:

fetch?filedataid=123508

The neck should be fine as long as you don't remove crazy amounts of wood. But given that you don't know how to proceed I'd be reluctant to encourage you. Keep the sentimental guitar and buy another with a neck profile you prefer.

• Members

Paging Freeman Keller...

It is not a difficult procedure but remember (1) it is irreversible and (2) you won't be able to match either the color of the wood or the finish.

I have reshaped the necks of a couple of guitar that I built and felt that they were too chunky. It is always wise to make a template off of a neck that you like and as long as it involves wood removal it isn't all that difficult. Obviously there is the truss rod lurking inside but a '70's Yamie should have as single acting tension rod.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/1312773-

One little question however, why do you feel a need to threaten the forum?

• Members

It is not a difficult procedure but remember (1) it is irreversible and (2) you won't be able to match either the color of the wood or the finish.

I have reshaped the necks of a couple of guitar that I built and felt that they were too chunky. It is always wise to make a template off of a neck that you like and as long as it involves wood removal it isn't all that difficult. Obviously there is the truss rod lurking inside but a '70's Yamie should have as single acting tension rod.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/1312773-

One little question however, why do you feel a need to threaten the forum?

Thanks, Freeman. I will do as you say. The threat was just a joke, buddy. I'm a very nice person. I would never do such a thing.

• Members

Not sure if having the work done by a luthier wouldnt cost more than the guitar is worth - not even sure if the integrity of the guitar will be the same -that wood your thinking about shaving might have something to do with your sound and the strength of the neck ( keep it straight )

would it be a thought to maybe get another guitar with a more playable neck and sound you like ? maybe even sell this guitar or trade it for something you like more ?

once you alter a neck , basically you kill its value -its not original --

Archived