Eko 12 string acoustic j56/1

Pickten3575

• Members

Just found this old 12 string and I'm not sure about anything with it. Its rough and needs work. Can anyone give me a value on this?

EKO J.56/1 numbers on back are

267652. I will also sell it because I have no clue how to play a 12 string. Thanks in advance for any information y'all can give.

• Members

http://www.fetishguitars.com/eko/eko-ranger/

I had the opportunity to play an Eko Ranger a while back - remember that it was built like a tank. The removable neck should make it easy to reset it and as I recall the bridge insert is adjustable (not the best design but easy to work on). What do you mean by "its rough and needs work" and what are your abilities to do the work required?

• Members

It has no electronics, it also has some clear coat damage, no pick guard, scratches, no breaks on anything. Its solid and like you said its a tank. In looking for value. Is it actually worth restoring? It is a cool guitar by all means. And age, how do you tell age on it? I know 60's but that doesn't narrow key down much.

• Members
It has no electronics' date=' it also has some clear coat damage, no pick guard, scratches, no breaks on anything. Its solid and like you said its a tank. In looking for value. Is it actually worth restoring? It is a cool guitar by all means. And age, how do you tell age on it? I know 60's but that doesn't narrow key down much.[/quote']

Don't worry about electronics and don't try to fix or refinish unless you absolutely know what you are doing - refins almost alway reduce the value of an old instrument. A missing pick guard can be replaced.

What I was really asking about is do you know how to evaluate neck angle, the condition of frets, structural issues, action and setup? And do you know how to fix these things?

I love old 12 strings but they can have lots of issues and sometimes amateur repairs make them worse. If you are thinking of buying it, fixing it up and flipping it, my wild guesses on value might be $500 or 600 if it is in very good playable condition, $50 if it needs neck angle work, frets, structural issues. As I said earlier, the bolt on neck does make doing a reset much easier so that is one thing in your favor.

(I'll add my minor credentials - I build and repair guitars, currently own 3 12 strings including an old Martin that has had about $700 worth of repairs (reset, frets, bridge reglued))

• Members
Based on eBay sold listings' date=' it's worth maybe $125 and up in playable condition so considerably less as-is. Figure on $30+ just for a replacement pickguard: http://www.terrapinguitars.com/2012/pricesheets/group_G.html.[/quote'].

Yeah. They do not fetch much these days. The guitar will date to the late 60's / early 70s. They were made in Italy and, for we beginner guitarists in the UK back then, were a miracle because they were a good quality instrument that we could afford to buy - unlike the US imports that cost more than a house. HST I worked for 2 months during the 1971 summer break from college to save up the money to buy my Eko Ranger VI. It cost me £28 new but that equates to around £450 in today's money. My most expensive guitar LOL.

And like Freeman says - they are built like tanks - virtually indestructible.

• Members

It cost me £28 new but that equates to around £450 in today's money. My most expensive guitar LOL.

that still tickles me .

i`ve still got my eko rio grande ,lovely neck but the body is a bit battered and looks a bit ruff .

you might be lucky if somebody who wants one from that period ,mid to late 60`s was a classic time ,they may pay decent money for it, i know they age well, mine is still good and every old eko i`ve tried has been great although i can`t speak for a 12 string ,i see the volume and tone pots are missing but that`s not a problem for some, where is the pickup situated on that guitar ?

• Members
that still tickles me .

i`ve still got my eko rio grande ,lovely neck but the body is a bit battered and looks a bit ruff .

you might be lucky if somebody who wants one from that period ,mid to late 60`s was a classic time ,they may pay decent money for it, i know they age well, mine is still good and every old eko i`ve tried has been great although i can`t speak for a 12 string ,i see the volume and tone pots are missing but that`s not a problem for some, where is the pickup situated on that guitar ?

AFAIK, those had mag pickups at the end of the fretboard, similar to this Vox:

fetch?filedataid=123405

The OP's guitar is missing not only the pots and knobs but the pickup. It should be possible to fix it up but whether it would be cost effective is debatable. Years ago, 1974 or so, I found an Eko 12-string in a pawn shop, $89 in excellent condition. I've kicked myself at various times for not buying it.

• Members

when i got my rio grande i started trying to find out info on them on the net and i`m sure there is a place in london that sells parts for eko`s, they may even be original parts that they made lots of and didn`t sell at the time , i can`t remember .although i may have dream t it :confused2:, but it might be worth investigating.

• Members

Here is a brief history from the new Eko site. Looks like the J56 ceased in 1967 - it was remodelled as Ranger 6 and 12:

"In 1962 EKO decided on producing a series of folk guitars, upon popular demand by Italian and foreign markets. After a thorough market research, the dreadnought shape was chosen, very much in fashion in the U.S. at the time. Initially the 6-string J54 was produced. It was an immediate success due to style, playability and price. It wasn’t long until there was a demand for a 12-string version, especially in U.S.A. and UK, which led to the J56, as it was named until ‘67. Specifications as well as sound of the 6 string were applied to the 12-string, conferring to the instrument stability and build quality. After just a short time, the J56 became the best-selling 12-string guitar on the market. In 1967, both the 12-string and 6 string went through a restyle and the new versions were showcased for the first time during the Frankfurt Messe under the names of Ranger VI and Ranger XII. Demand for the Ranger was so high that EKO had to create a production dedicated only to the Ranger Series."

Rather more details here:

http://www.fetishguitars.com/eko/eko-ranger/

Archived