"Play some Neil Young!"

Grant Harding

• Members

Well, new generation, new material. I've found out on a couple occasions the old standards that influenced me and I still play have not been heard by the succeeding generation. The radio stations dropped what I liked for disco, meaning they sold out, and that was the end of it. So, your mission should you choose to accept it, Mr Phelps, is to busk those old songs as often as possible. I'll watch my relevance meter in the meantime.

• Members
So this guy asks me to play Neil Young and he's never heard Old Man or Hey Hey My My. Is that unusual? They're the only ones I like to play. :(

Yes, but not unheard of.

I'm like you: There's only one Young tune I like to play: "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere." And I perk it up a lot: Up the tempo and substitute that cloying / Cmaj7 / Cmaj7 / with a much livelier / C G D G / C /.

Little things mean a lot!

So this guy asks me to play Neil Young and he's never heard Old Man or Hey Hey My My. Is that unusual? They're the only ones I like to play. :(

What strikes me as interesting is that he's requesting Neil Young, but is unfamiliar with two of his most successful songs. Not unheard of, but kind of weird if you ask me.

• Members

to be fair, i'm a dedicated neil young fan, one of my greatest heroes of all time. but he has released more than 40 (official) albums.

i loved and lived with neil only knowing unlugged, heart of gold, freedom and mirrorball album for over ten years. i was even on a NY & crazy horse concert before i discovered the whole crazy horse world, with cortez, everybody knows... powderfinger and co...

now i still possess less than the half of his albums and have not heard everything on mp3...

my significant other was really disappointet when we were at a crazy horse concert two years ago, cause neil didn't play any hits nor neither a song she would know...

yeah they played 20 minutes of cortez, barstool blues and powderfinger, but the played no hits ;)

• Members

What I have seen some guys do, is to make a list of all the cover songs they play. So when someone asks you if you can play a song, you hand them the list. Pretty quickly any thought that was in there head of some cover song don't play or don't want to play, soon focuses on the list. Next thing you know they have 5 songs off the list that they want you to play.

So hey man play some Neil Young soon turns in to, oh gawd I love that song Teach Your Children Well, and Oh man, Working At the Car Wash Blues, my mom had the record of that when I was a kid.

If it ain't those song, it will be something else, believe me.

I think one of the key things you can do as a performer is make folks think what you playing right at this moment in time, is the thing to be doing. There's a bit of trickery to it, but you need to master it a bit. If you do master it, please let me know.

• Members

I can't sing Neil Young songs - just too high for me. But I like 'em and I play a bunch. Favorite right now is Harvest Moon. Also play:

Everybody Knows This Is nowhere

DBTR

Cowgirl in the Sand

Rockin' in the Free World

Hurricane

Needle and the damage Done

Old Man (just played it tonight with my trio)

Used to play Cinnamon Girl in a cover band...never really liked it.

Archived