Aston Origin or Spirit for Taylor 510?

STIXXS

• Members

Hi all,

Just got a chance to hear the relatively new Aston Origin and was blown away on strummed acoustic guitar/vocal...not the usual ice pick to the ear...Full open and pleasing high end. Is the Spirit that much better would any pickers here know?

Thanks much

• Members

I looked at both products and can say that the Studio Projects B1 1-inch condenser mic I had was probably similar in performance as the Spirit in that it has the 0, 10 and 20 decibel roll-off switch. I never use the roll-off feature on anything including the 10dB roll-off feature of the wireless Nady guitar transmitter I have or the Fishman SA220's similar option. I can't think of when I'd ever need it so I'd stick with the Origin if asked. Otherwise, any 1-inch condenser is probably similar in sonic quality.

Hi all,

Just got a chance to hear the relatively new Aston Origin and was blown away on strummed acoustic guitar/vocal...not the usual ice pick to the ear...Full open and pleasing high end. Is the Spirit that much better would any pickers here know?

Thanks much

I've seen their microphones at AES and at NAMM, but have never used one on a recording session or tested them for a review.

I am a Taylor 510 owner too... have used it as my main acoustic guitar since my wife gave it to me as a wedding present in 1994.

I have probably 70 microphones in my collection. One of my current favorites on acoustic guitars is the Blue Hummingbird (click the link to check out my review). Tremendous value, and a great sounding small diaphragm condenser mic.

As to the Astons, it's cool to hear that the Origin lacks the high frequency harshness that plagues many modern (especially inexpensive) condenser microphones. Again, while I have not tried them myself yet (other than briefly singing into them on a noisy trade show floor), there are a couple of things to consider with the Aston Spirit. First of all, it's larger, which can make placement more challenging in some situations, but that's usually not a big deal when miking acoustic guitar. The big advantage is that it's a multi-pattern microphone. While most users will put it in cardioid and leave it there, there are times when the omni and figure 8 patterns may come in handy. Whether or not that would be worth the price difference for you, only you can say...

Of course, Aston just came out with a new model, which you also might want to look into. It's a small diaphragm "pencil" style condenser called the Starlight, and it comes equipped with its own laser. No, I'm not joking. :)

http://www.astonmics.com

I looked at both products and can say that the Studio Projects B1 1-inch condenser mic I had was probably similar in performance as the Spirit in that it has the 0' date=' 10 and 20 decibel roll-off switch.[/quote']

That's called a "pad" switch. It lowers the sensitivity of the mic so it can handle louder sound sources without distorting or overloading the mic preamp. You should probably refrain from calling it a "roll-off switch" since that will lead to confusion - there's another popular switch on many microphones called a High Pass Filter, which "rolls off" the low frequencies, which can be useful on sound sources without significant low frequency content, or with more LF content than you need - including (in many cases) acoustic guitars.

A pad usually isn't needed when recording acoustic guitars. The pad switch is more likely to be beneficial when recording loud guitar amps, drums, and other high-SPL sound sources.

• Members

I've seen their microphones at AES and at NAMM, but have never used one on a recording session or tested them for a review.

I am a Taylor 510 owner too... have used it as my main acoustic guitar since my wife gave it to me as a wedding present in 1994.

I have probably 70 microphones in my collection. One of my current favorites on acoustic guitars is the Blue Hummingbird (click the link to check out my review). Tremendous value, and a great sounding small diaphragm condenser mic.

As to the Astons, it's cool to hear that the Origin lacks the high frequency harshness that plagues many modern (especially inexpensive) condenser microphones. Again, while I have not tried them myself yet (other than briefly singing into them on a noisy trade show floor), there are a couple of things to consider with the Aston Spirit. First of all, it's larger, which can make placement more challenging in some situations, but that's usually not a big deal when miking acoustic guitar. The big advantage is that it's a multi-pattern microphone. While most users will put it in cardioid and leave it there, there are times when the omni and figure 8 patterns may come in handy. Whether or not that would be worth the price difference for you, only you can say...

Of course, Aston just came out with a new model, which you also might want to look into. It's a small diaphragm "pencil" style condenser called the Starlight, and it comes equipped with its own laser. No, I'm not joking. :)

All potential GF's and Fiancee's, please take note. Guitars make lovely anniversary gifts too.

I'm just saying.

• Members

• Members

Phil thanks, Gotta check into hummingbird!...picked up a Shure SM 81 only because the Taylor (as we know) can be a bit bright with overtones and midrangey ;) on the 510… My ultimate goal was having to record a singer/guitar at the same time - so pairing that with a SM7b for isolation.

Phil thanks' date=' Gotta check into hummingbird!...picked up a Shure SM 81 only because the Taylor (as we know) can be a bit bright with overtones and midrangey ;) on the 510… My ultimate goal was having to record a singer/guitar at the same time - so pairing that with a SM7b for isolation.[/quote']

Remember how I sad a multi-pattern mic often gets left in cardioid, but sometimes those extra patterns can come in handy?

You're describing one of those situations. :)

I will sometimes use a bi-directional (fig 8) polar pattern when recording a guitarist who wants to sing simultaneously. With microphones, pointing the mic at what you want it to capture is only part of the job - the other is pointing those null points towards what you don't want it to pick up - in this case, you don't want the guitar mic picking up the vocal. You'll always get some of it... but with a figure 8 mic's excellent side rejection null points, you can position it in such a way that it captures the guitar, but rejects a lot of the vocal. Sometimes I might even take that a step further and use a figure 8 mic on the singer too - that way, I can get the vocal isolated a bit more too, with less guitar bleed into the vocal microphone.

Archived