Larrivee D-02e recommendations?

Abztract

• Members

500 GBP is about US$625 for a guitar that sells for about US$1100 new. No idea what it sells for new in the UK but it sounds like a good price to me assuming it's in good shape. I haven't played that model but I've also never heard anything negative about any Larrivée.

• Members

Freeman's right. I love my 11 year old Larrivee OM-03R. I love the neck profile and the fact that it's all solid wood. My only gripe is the satin finish but one of these days I may buff it out. It seems like a lot of work and it otherwise fits like a well worn pair of boots so that's probably not going to happen.

For reference I'm looking at Notable Guitars' website and Jason writes that they've been discontinued again. They were originally intended to be sold in Japan and the major difference from the 03 series is that the fingerboard and bridge are rosewood (03 and above have ebony) and the neck is 3 pieces o mahogany glued together (instead of the single piece neck that my OM-03R has.)

I see there's a used D-02E for sale there for 899 USD (717GBP) as well - which is a bit more so I'm wondering why the price of yours is so low. Since you're in the UK I would assume that underhumidification is not a problem and from the knocking about that my Larrivee has taken I can only assume that it's got the same robust build and good craftsmanship. I'd look closely at it and see if there are not any problems with it brought about by neglect. As an aside, the only Larrivee I'd ever seen for sale that cheap had been a beater - and in a pawn shop of all places. I'd check out the seller for good measure.

I've never come across a D-02 but 8 years ago I did play a D-03 sapele/sitka (before settling on a mid level Martin dread) and felt like it was a pretty balanced instrument. The tone from the middle strings are just as present as the unwound treble strings with some more bass response than my OM-03R. Years before, I'd tried a D-09 and compared it to an Epiphone Maserbilt EF-500RV and the smaller Epi blew the Larrivee dread out of the water. I'm curious to see if the 50 series or even the new 40 series rectified that.

Archived