Replacing Saddle

missedmyexit

• Members

So my J45 needs some love. I got some pinging on the High E around fret 13. I did the measurements adjusted the neck so it has the proper relief and now I got a new bone saddle. One question I always had is how do you determine how much to take off the saddle when adjusting for action. If there some formula that says x amount of saddle drops the strings Y?

• Members

Yes, since you measure action at the 12th fret which is the half point of your scale length if you want to change the action by X change the saddle by 2X (high school geometry) (Actually that is not quite true because of relief and nut clearance but close enough)

Lets say you want to lower the action by 20 thousands (a bit more than 1/64), put you saddle on a flat surface and lay an 0.010 feeler gauge next to it. Draw a line with a very sharp small diameter pencil and approach that line as you sand the bottom of the saddle. Keep trial fitting the saddle until you are happy. Remember that its easier to take a little more off than to put it back on.

• Members

"how do you determine how much to take off the saddle when adjusting for action. " My rule is: take off just enough, but not too much. Sorry, didn't want to help myself.... stick with Freeman, he knows of what he speaks.

Archived