Taming the high end

katopp

• Members

I have to admit, I like the looks and the electric sound of that Luna Vista Eagle. It's just that the acoustic sound can use some improvement. Martin Retros are better than EXP16 and better than Elixir PB's on that thing.

I have a fresh set of Elixir on it and given the price, they need to stay on for a bit longer.

But I am looking for some string to tame the high mid on that guitar.

80/20 won't do and Aluminum Bronze possibly neither - even though I will give those Ernies a try unless you peeps say it's a lost case with them.

Given the fact that Martin Retro/Monel haven't done too badly (and I already regret restringing to Elixir), I'd give the coated Martin PB a chance...?

Or is there some wisdom to be gained from you folks?

She's a looker and I would hate to have her in a case waiting for the occasional electric gig (and competing with the Ovation, by which she will win, btw). I'd rather play her more, but I need her top end to be tamed for that.

So, I'm open to suggestions about strings...

• Moderators

Maybe you could try a thicker string like a medium gauge. Or try a nickel-wound string. Though from using nickel-wound strings in my electrics in the past, they're generally not a very long lasting string, but they should give an even and warm tone to whatever guitar you put them in.

• Members

I'm wondering if it just the nature of the beast. From the pictures I've seen of the Luna the top is a montage of different woods probably laminated on some sort of substrate. While stunning looking, it can't be optimized for tone. And the grand auditorium size is going to be biased away from the bass so it might sound excessively bright. The specs say the back and sides are koa - that tends to be more like mahogany in tone balance, but if its laminated it won't matter much.

Remember when you change strings its only the wound ones that are coated or different composition (sometimes the plain strings are anodized or plated but rarely is that done for tone). So by changing from PB to 80/20 or something else you might be making the mids and low end more or less bright but probably aren't affecting the treble much. Lighter strings on top and mediums on the bottom might make the treble less pronounced but it won't change the tone.

I hate to say it but some people think that bridge pins can make a difference - trying a set of rosewood or ebony certainly is easy. Another option, of course, is tuning down a semi tone.

• Members

It is the nature of the beast. It's paper thin veneer laminated to a nondescript top. It will never be a cannon. All I want is to tame it, so it's not too tinny. The highs are ok, it's more the upper middle that bites. The Elixirs slowly start setting in and it becomes a bit more civilized. I will continue with the Ekixirs and give the Martins a try when the Elixirs are dead and gone. Might take a while....

...and I will dig out that ol' fishtank air pump thingy again. Might help to shake it loose.

Changed pins to brass, btw. Slightly better than plastic. Maybe, some lead or depleted Uranium will be even better.

• Members

Reviews I've seen of the Aluminum Bronze strings suggest that, if anything, they'll tame the bass, which isn't what you want. Maybe try DR Zebras or maybe GHS White Bronze. That said, I think you're probably on the right track with the Martin Monels.

• Members

[uSER=168471]Idunno[/uSER] Well, that is always the last resort. But before I do that, I'd rather flip the Ovation as the Luna seems to be as sturdy, but with a nicer electric sound and much more like a regular guitar. I have to play the Ovation at least a few hours every month to keep the familiarisation. If I put the Ovation down for too long, the bowl slips and the narrow fretboard hurts. So if I would have to decide between the Ovation and the Luna, it would possibly be the Luna.

But there seems to be no need for that. The Elixirs are settling in and the bite wears off. Took some serious playing, though. I will try the Martin Lifespans and possibly some flatwounds or halfwounds, too. DR Zebras are ordered. In regards of GHS White Bronze, the blurb puts an extra emphasis on "brilliant sound" - which is what I do not need, I guess. But strings are relatively cheap. Relatively as in $15 for the Zebras :-(

• Members

Good to hear!

With DR it's the corrosion that's the killer for me. 70% of the sets I've bought have been covered in little rusty patches in the package. I love the sound and feel of the strings, but having to throw out most of them has blacklisted them for me. If I had an important gig or recording session I'd consider them, but would buy them from the local shop and open the pack in the store to look for the telltale brown spots on the string sleeves.

Why can't they shrink wrap them like D'Addario?

• Members

Corrosion?!? All of the strings that I've bought for the last years come in sealed plastic/plasticised bags. Only the bottom of the shelf - cheap standard Martins - still come in paper bags.

If they sell those buggers for the equivalent of $15 in paper bags, I would be pissed off big time. Usually, I buy bulk and I keep stock of strings. Can't do that with paper bags....

• Members

I have asked Luna Guitars about the top material and they have not replied. Not good customer service, but it is as it is.

I've snapped a pic of the top though the soundhole and it looks like it's solid'ish as like the Ovation, where they have a solid spruce top, but they laminate fancy Koa, Waterfall Bubinga, whatever to that solid spruce to give it that fancy look of expensive wood.

e52e69abd6004ba534e5481dfaff003c.thumb.jpg.f4af4e5cd43562e6114fbdd303ab26a2.jpg

• Members
I have asked Luna Guitars about the top material and they have not replied. Not good customer service, but it is as it is.

I've snapped a pic of the top though the soundhole and it looks like it's solid'ish as like the Ovation, where they have a solid spruce top, but they laminate fancy Koa, Waterfall Bubinga, whatever to that solid spruce to give it that fancy look of expensive wood.

So it's kinda "hybrid," not fully solid but not what most of us think of in terms of laminated either. Seems reasonable to me. Let us know your impressions when the DR Zebras arrive.

• Members

Anyone with a better eye than me might look at the pic in my last post and tell me what they see.

Other than that, the Elixirs improve a lot over time. Maybe even the EXP might have worked out?

But I am still looking for some less biting, tinny high mids.

Zebras next....

Archived