Need a new watch?

Freeman Keller

• Members

I'm glad they did. It had all the class of a touristy bumper sticker. I'm sure the celebration of something that is still illegal under federal law played into it. I think Martin should focus more on the musical aspect of their history and keep from doing these "theme" guitars.

For example, the 50th anniversary of Woodstock is coming up. They should be planning a commemorative model "1969" model for THAT. It should be modeled after a D-45 like CSN played in Suite Judy Blue Eyes or the 0-45 that Joan Baez played in her set. They should also keep the artwork simple, like the stylized doves from the promotional artwork of the event.

• Members
Interesting. I didn't understand the reasoning behind the timepiece motif but the video makes it a little clearer. Even still' date=' I don't think it fits with the milestone. It is after all just a number.[/quote']

Agree. Artistry for the sake of it is graffiti.

There should have been a musical or other relevant (coherent) theme that tasked the artisans in the same manner music tasks originality. Admittedly, I scanned through the video but didn't listen to it. I didn't see coherency in the chosen theme so I wasn't going to confirm it aurally. But, remembering my brush with the visual arts and the psyches present at the time, there wasn't a lot of coherency to be found in the lot. It was pretty evident by the numbers of illustrators versus actual artists. The former, rendering real world themes in graphic representation does not reveal the artist within. Moreover, it pretty much reveals a lack of original thinking. They made up the bulk of the numbers. Even Rockwell lamented that he was an illustrator and not a true artist. What we have with Martin's artisans is a collection of illustrators quick to themes they can easily re-render as "art" onto a guitar. I think they should have chosen a theme covering the family succession with portraits and real world themes such as the horseless carriage, first true airplane, first space shot, lunar landing and other life-changing events respective of their times. That would have been much more personal, artistically faithful and endearing than what they ended up with. At a glance at what they ended up with I immediately think Coldplay's Clocks.

• Members

Ok- i get it , but i think it is one of the stupidest things Ive ever seen Martin do - a better tribute would of been to make the most perfect D-28 that this world has ever seen - use the best piece of Brazilian with the tightest quarter saw spruce ( either Sitka or Adirondack ) have your bestcrew of builders make it - and put it in a handbuilt Geib case - all the spit and polish possible to make a great guitar . that piece of Art they did make would look nice hanging on a wall -thats about it -

Archived