Amp or PA

Illegal_edge

• Members

Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am trying to decide between an amp or some pedals and a pa for my acoustic guitar. I play solo but I want to add some reverb and delay to my playing. I've had high end electric amps and pedals before but I sold them to get a nice acoustic guitar because I wouldn't be able to play in my apartment. Things have changed and I now have a house. I love the sound of my acoustic but I really want that plugged in sound and have effects. I'm just torn between a small pa and a few pedals and a DI box or buy an acoustic amp. I would just like to know your experiences and get some advice.

I'm looking to spend about $500 I'm open to buying used. This would be just for my enjoyment, I don't play gigs.

• Members

For the money - a small PA used to be a bargain. But acoustic amps are getting more price-competitive

and some are designed to sound like stand-alone PA's. Fishman Loudbox looks promising.

I like Roland AC-series acoustic amps. But they are pricey. They're great-sounding acoustic and keyboard amps -

much better-sounding than Roland's KC amps. The KC-series keyboard amps sound like crap.

A small, inexpensive Yamaha MG-series mixer w/FX into a good acoustic amp would be how'd I'd go

if I were doing it today.

• Members

Amp for sure. I have a PA that I bought (Fishman SA-220) that doesn't have anything to tear when touched but it's out of your range. Plus, it only has reverb. Get a Line 6. They're cheap and adequate to your needs. You may need a pedal but at that point you're really needing to go back to electric.

Line 6 Spider IV 30 30W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp Black | Guitar Center

• Members

Could go either way. Playing out means schlepping stuff, and if there are also vocals involved, some of that stuff will likely be a PA. Load-in/load-out a PA AND an amp? Versus schlepping only the PA and pedals/DI? Your call, but one would be less work than the other.

Playing home? Vocals (if any) don't need PA in that environment anyway? Amp can be an easy solution.

FWIW, I have both, but when several of us jam here in our own music room, we put the strings through the PA too. Easier to control room volume, easier to control speaker placement, eliminate feedback, etc. OTOH, when it's just me, or just a couple of us, I can set up and use an amp faster.

-D44

• Members

im not sure what your trying to do -other than not playing out -if your just trying to see what kind of sound you have -

and maybe just have a little fun - i wouldnt bother with a PA - but a small acoustic Amp , microphone and maybe a pick up

or mic for your guitar -that would enable you to do some OK home recording , play at a friends party etc. Buying a quality amp

could help you add other things latter on if you do decide latter that you do want to play out - Id look at a Amp and speakers that are

designed for Acoustic guitar -with 2-4 inputs - quality is the ticket here - 50-100 watts

I remember going to a America concert years ago - and they basically just put microphones on their smaller amps - as i recall each performer had a different type of amp -at that time fender made the best small amps -

but thats changed as other companies entered the market .

• Members

Actually, I do fine with an electric guitar tube amp. Good sound, good audience response. Sometimes I have to plug into a PA instead, but I don't like to because I lose control of my sound. (You can't hear what the audience hears, but you can hear what your amp is doing.)

If it has to be boosted more, I prefer miking the amp if I'm given the choice.

• Members
Yeah' date=' I'd go for an amplifier. And like Deepend says I'd look at keyboard amps - that's what I use.[/quote']

Excepting the Jazz Chorus, which weighs a ton and costs a fortune, Roland acoustic guitar amps do a much better job with keyboards than does the KC series. KC amps blow bad on acoustic guitar too. I tried out one when I was shopping. Avoid that series. Ask any knowledgeable keyboard player. Even the little wedges and cubes sound better.

• Members
im not sure what your trying to do -other than not playing out -if your just trying to see what kind of sound you have -

and maybe just have a little fun - i wouldnt bother with a PA - but a small acoustic Amp , microphone and maybe a pick up

or mic for your guitar -that would enable you to do some OK home recording , play at a friends party etc. Buying a quality amp

could help you add other things latter on if you do decide latter that you do want to play out - Id look at a Amp and speakers that are

designed for Acoustic guitar -with 2-4 inputs - quality is the ticket here - 50-100 watts

I remember going to a America concert years ago - and they basically just put microphones on their smaller amps - as i recall each performer had a different type of amp -at that time fender made the best small amps -

but thats changed as other companies entered the market .

I just want to add some effects while I play at home. I have an acoustic electric guitar and I'm leaning towards the Marshall as50d mostly because I liked the sound it had. It's just really hard to go try out PAs especially small ones. Sounds like the amp is the way to go and get a delay pedal.

• Members

Same problem here.

I went for a swiss-army-knife pedal - Zoom A2.1u - and a budget all-in-one PA.

The Zoom is able to taylor the sound that the PA sounds well, the thing got 4 channels, wireless vocal microphones, some basic chorus/reverb and it runs omn battery, too. Really easy to transport as it is self contained and setuyp takes me literally less than 5 minutes. Less if I go for the battery option.

• Members

Get an acoustic amp with effects. A good one will cost a tic over $500.

Fishman amps sound great, but I can't recommend them because the covering on them is crap.

"touch-n-tear"

I have an old black Fishman Performer Loudbox. Like this.

The look and the covering on the new Fishman stuff is not good and fugly to boot

Loudbox_Performer_front_an-9881652fa721d2648773ec48428f5c23.jpg

This is not mine, but I saw this the net for sale. New they sold for what his guy is asking for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishman-Loudbox-Performer-Pro-LBX-300-/222341257150?hash=item33c49257be:g:j6MAAOSwnHZYS0G8

It's clean.

It's also quite loud.

Other options would be the much smaller Loud box Mini or the Roland AC 33 (ac and battery powered) or the AC 60.

The rest of anything would be way more costly, but when you get some extra coin add a Fishman spectra DI box.

• Members

If you're requisite FX and amplification can be answered in one unit, get one that offers both. The amps usually have to have FX placed in the chain. Some amps have them onboard - like the Line 6. And, an acoustic through either an acoustic amp or an electric guitar amp is not going to make a difference to the eagerly awaiting audience in your house (you, wall paint, fixtures, furniture, etc) so get as much as you can for the cheap grins bundled into one unit. I mean, we're talking acoustic guitar amplified at home so the purist-101s don't really apply.

• Members
Excepting the Jazz Chorus' date=' which weighs a ton and costs a fortune, Roland acoustic guitar amps do a much better job with keyboards than does the KC series. KC amps blow bad on acoustic guitar too. I tried out one when I was shopping. Avoid that series. Ask any knowledgeable keyboard player. Even the little wedges and cubes sound better.[/quote']

You'll note that neither garthman nor myself said ''a Roland keyboard amp.'' Peavey makes keyboard amps too, as does Behringer. When I originally amplified my acoustic, I used a borrowed Peavey bass head and cab. It sounded fine and 400+ Watts through a 2X10 was more than loud enough. I understand some keyboard players use powered monitors so you might check those too.

• Members
Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am trying to decide between an amp or some pedals and a pa for my acoustic guitar. I play solo but I want to add some reverb and delay to my playing. I've had high end electric amps and pedals before but I sold them to get a nice acoustic guitar because I wouldn't be able to play in my apartment. Things have changed and I now have a house. I love the sound of my acoustic but I really want that plugged in sound and have effects. I'm just torn between a small pa and a few pedals and a DI box or buy an acoustic amp. I would just like to know your experiences and get some advice.

I'm looking to spend about $500 I'm open to buying used. This would be just for my enjoyment, I don't play gigs.

One more idea from me.

How about one of the Roland AC amps.

I had the AC60, but took it back to the store for the Fishman Loudbox Professional. This was way way back when the old black Fishmans came out. However, along the way I purchased a Roland AC33 and have kept it.

I don't hit the streets buskin often, but I have, and this lil ac/dc ( battery powered if you need it) works just fine. Obviously it not as nice as the AER compact mobile, but the AC 33 is like close to a 1/4 of the price. It's way lighter and there's not battery to maintain, as it runs of 8 Alkalines.. The AC 40 and AC 60 are bigger and still in you price rang.. The AC 33 has a built in looper if that's your thing, but does not have a pole mount. The AC 60 and 90 have pole mount, but no looper.

If you want to give the looper a whirl, you will need the footswitch and a cable.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FS6

I'm not sure of the cable model number

The AC 33 and AC 40 also come in a fancier plastic rosewood cab, and the standard black cab. The rosewood probably looks nicer with your living room decor.

If you sing, you'll want a mic and stand. The Shure SM 58 works the 58 beta is better. I use a warmer Beyer Mic, no longer made.

Since Roland doesn't make a travel case for the AC33 or the AC 40, I went down to the local Walmart and bought a 15 dollar soft side beer/soda cooler, just to store it in and there's enough room in the cooler to store a mic, the foot switch and cables. With guitar in hand, a mic stand ,and the sift side cool bag it's like a buskers dream.

Don't expect a big thumping bass end with a 5 in speaker.

If you like the batteries idea, and think you might want to play out with absents of electrical power, go with the AC 33. If you know you will always have power, go bigger.

Archived