SOUND is the thing........

poppytater

• Members

....when talkin' about guitars. Don't matter if it's ugly as homemade sin or purty as a just opened jar of Jif, don't matter if it's purple, plaid or paisley, don't matter if the action is so high you have to stand on a stool to play it or so low you call it the Beehive. Am I right young'uns?

• Members

Freeman, you sound like a newbee! LOL I'm not quite as old as you (who is) but the first git I ever made was the UGLIEST I've ever seen. Used brushing lacquer and never used it before (and never will again). LOL Still have it - that's the d18 in my avatar and it still sounds wonderful! It's 22 years old now and the neck is still perfect. The action is great and if I smothered it with thinner I could probably smooth out all the finish flaws but it has character so I l leave it that way. Now if my fingers would do anything right....LOL Tomorrow it'll be 68 yrs old for me. Lucky I made it this far!

BigAl:D2

• Members
. . . Am I right young'uns?

Sorry but no. Action that's a mile high is a deal breaker if it can't be fixed.

. . . Tomorrow it'll be 68 yrs old for me. Lucky I made it this far!

BigAl:D2

Happy (pending) birthday. :thu: I'll reach that same illustrious milestone in about 4 1/2 years.

• Members

I like a sexy guitar as well. Some like 'em fat, some like 'em slim, some like 'em old, young, some like scars. Some like a high voice, low voice, scratchy voice. They all sexy to someone.

And we can all agree they better feel good in your arms

• Members

Sound is definitely the only aspect of an instrument money should follow. But, like Tony quips, many a player wants the eye candy to go with it. You'll have that, though.

I went on a mission some time back to find (and travel to if necessary) as many fancy boutique guitars I could just to play them, and scratch it off my bucket list. I was surprised by the number of very high end, gorgeous duds. Because you can beat it to fit and paint it to match doesn't mean you're a luthier. My notion of a luthier is one who can produce a well balanced sound of a respectable timbre that I can effortlessly coax from his guitars. It doesn't matter to me how he does it or if it's on the verge of collapsing in upon itself. Anything less is a person with a guitar building hobby and I have to say some of the big name products I sampled pointed to just that.

On the flip side, if a manufacturer weighs the costs of great sound versus warranty returns due to structural fragility that compromises strength (durability) for that sound, he'll be looking down the barrel of a loaded gun. So, erring on the side of durability, we have Gibson acoustics compromising sound to ensure warranty claims are minimized. Then we have Martin who swings for the fence and is gagging on warranty work. The "Gibson sound" from over-built guitars versus the Martin lifetime warranty with better sound... hmmm....tough choice? I'll take the Martin every time.

• Members
Not so sure about that -besides having a killer tone and great sustain - i want a gorgeous piece of top wood with very tight clean gain with allot of

rays - and a beautiful back and sides . hey why not !

Granted, I like the look of a jumbo made in the USA with maple back and sides and a silky sitka spruce top but I've always found that blonde bombshells are trouble - and frankly I don't like the shrill sound of their voices. Give me a 00 with rosewood back and sides and an Adi top that sings like an angel or an all mahogany 000 with a husky tone and I'd be satisfied.

Of course, there's always ginger-colored pauduk or bubinga in a grand auditorium with an Engelmann top with a perfect creamy complexion. Who cares what it sounds like? *drool*

(steps outside into the blowing snow to cool off)

• Members

I'm in your corner -sometimes Maple is a bit much -

thou their are days i like to pull her out and give her a sing -

( love that blonde bombshell ) thou jumbo maples have their own sound.

-mine is Greven Jumbo white lady ,

Gibson was dufunct at the time ( its fabulous top came from the Gibson company )

and who better to get a Gibsonesque guitar than from John Greven. ( one of my favorite builders )

Have always been tempted to get an older Guild F-512 ,

Those jumbo 12 are spectacular if you can find a nice one from the original guild company !

but to be honest I seldom play my Yamaha 12 string from '71 -

so getting another 12 string is kinda silly . ( probably sit in the case )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

While a beautiful guitar, a lesson in subjectivity, those types of guitars, unamplified, sound thin a crappy. But it appears you've done a exemplary job recreating one of those types. Ain't the world grand?

Now, I expect my statement to be misread and offensive to those that don't understand what 'subjective' means.

Archived