Shadydog

• Members

I'm new here so hello. I need some advice and I hope you can help. I'm a 64year old guy and recently tried to learn to play but finding very difficult. I have an electric strat, an Ibanez AW acoustic and a Keith Urban I bought on HSN. My problem is bad arthritis in my left hand, mostly in my thumb and index. It seems I can't depress the strings properly and I just can't get comfortable with any of them. Is there anything I can do or is this just the way it is?

• Members

First, hi and welcome to the Forum. Next, there are a couple of things you can try. A guitar that's been ''set up'' is easier to play. Any good music store should be able to do a setup for you. If you're handy we can talk you through a basic setup. Lighter strings will help too. Unless it's in really bad shape, the Ibanez AW will do fine. I play one myself. I don't know much about Keith Urban guitars except that I see a lot of them on CraigsList and I wouldn't trust any guitar that was selling on HSN. Most steel string acoustic guitars have ''medium'' or ''light'' strings. ''Medium'' strings will be something like .013-.056'', ''light'' strings will be .012-.054'' or so. There are lighter gauges available, down to ''extra light,'' which is .010-.047'' or so. Some companies also make ''silk and steel'' strings, which are easier to fret. You might also want to try a nylon string guitar if you can adjust to the width of the neck.

• Members

Another welcome to the forum. I'm 71 and have been playing for a lot of my life (I keep thinking I should get good but I haven't). Anyway, DeepEnd's advice is spot on - I do a lot of setups on both my guitars and semi commercially and a properly setup guitar will be much easier to play. The problem will be finding someone who can really do that for you - call your local music stores and explain exactly what you are struggling with and see if they have someone who does their setups.

My other suggestion is to find a good instructor who plays the kind of music that you aspire to for two reasons. First, she can help a lot with proper technique which can make the physical playing much easier and she might know of someone who can do the setup for you ( a couple of local instructors send their students to me).

Lastly, just play and practice as much as you can without pushing yourself into real pain. Do simple scale and chords just to get your fingers to work. Do whatever your doctor suggests for your arthritis - maybe ibuprophen. Good luck, we look forward to seeing more of you here.

• Members

I can't address the arthritis issue because I have no personal experience with it, nor have I ever known anyone who had it who played. All I can offer is to stick with the easiest guitar to play. That would be an electric with a set of .009s on it, tuned below concert pitch to a point just before it buzzes, and use that to learn on as well as develop through and with the affliction. That stuff tends to stick around once it takes hold - or so I've heard. With perseverance and a lot of bullet-biting you might just develop a work-around that lets you enjoy playing. Welcome to the forum.

• Members

i`m not joking here but you could try a half size or kids classical guitar ,i rescued one the other week from a neighbours garden (after asking them of course) and it has turned out to be to be realy good, the neck on a half size or 3/4 size is roughly the same width as a normal type steel string guitar neck ,but much slimmer than a full size classical neck. .the nylon strings are much easier to press down than steel strings in my opinion and after messing around for a while they are very pleasing to the ear ,and don`t be fooled by the size this one sounds very good ,i think i might record this months VOM1T on it .ha ha

The length of this guitar is 36 inch ,you could probably pick one up for next to nothing but it would probably still need setting up ,i think it`s probably one reason you see these types of guitars thrown away all the time because they are never set up, a full size man would find them hard to play let alone a child.good luck with it all anyway .

• Members

Valentsgrif claims that he has some issues with arthritis. IDK if he's around anymore. He recommended ... well, I won't go there. There are guitars that the maker claims are easy to play, but they are expensive and don't live up to the maker's claims.

There are things you can do to make fretting easier that are less expensive than going that route. You can use light, extra light, or even ultra light strings. You can have a luthier set the guitar's action extremely low. You can tune the guitar down a step or two. These things will cause problems of their own, but they might alleviate some of your problems.

• Members
Valentsgrif claims that he has some issues with arthritis. IDK if he's around anymore. He recommended ... well, I won't go there. There are guitars that the maker claims are easy to play, but they are expensive and don't live up to the maker's claims.

There are things you can do to make fretting easier that are less expensive than going that route. You can use light, extra light, or even ultra light strings. You can have a luthier set the guitar's action extremely low. You can tune the guitar down a step or two. These things will cause problems of their own, but they might alleviate some of your problems.

I'm around Frettie. Been spending some time over at the Zager forum. You're doing a fine job as moderator over there.:p

To the OP: I did the extra extra light strings-extra low action thing and it only works if you are entirely accurate with your fingering and strum fairly lightly. It is EZ Play, but such a rig can be frustrating with buzzing as you become a better player. There's better ways to go.

I have the same condition in my left hand. The best system I've found is:

First, get lessons. Even if you've played for a while. Not Youtube lessons. Find some highly recommended teacher. (Don't price shop.) There are technique things that can be changed by an in-person teacher to prevent strain on the joints. I'm also a devotee of Jamie Andreas' "Guitar Principles" guitar teaching course. http://www.guitarprinciples.com/the-...the-principles She devotes a lot of time toward proper technique to avoid hand/finger tension and fatigue. Get her book "The Principles of Correct Practice" and apply it!

Second, is warm up properly. Again a teacher is helpful here to teach you how..

Three, is play in small chunks of time, stop when sore and tired. Playing through pain only causes deeper inflammation and can lead to bone spurring and serious tendinitis. I play short 15 minute sessions one day, and a half hour the next, on alternating days.

Four: Switch to a short scale guitar. Really helpful. I'm using Gibson's 24 & 3/4" exclusively now, and sometimes a 24" scale on a Fender Jaguar electric. There is a shorter reach and less string tension to press down on. I string the acoustics with 12's and sometimes 11's. I've finally learned to like 9's on electrics. I wouldn't go any shorter scale than that.

Five: Have the guitar "set up" by a guitar tech. You want your string height to be as low as possible but not buzzing on the frets. Go to somebody good, don't bargain shop.

Sixth: Use analgesics and anti-inflammatory pain meds. I have had good success taking Alleve about 2 hours before playing. After a session, I use ice packs and heating packs alternatively. Ice right after, heat later on.

Getting old isn't for sissies but I can't face life without guitar and have tried everything, including quitting for six months which was more miserable than some wrist pain.

• Members

Hello& welcome

Lots of good advice so far - good set up, light strings, down-tuning. You could also fit your Ibanez with nylon strings.

Also It's a good idea to do some hand exercises designed to help with arthritis. Some here:

http://www.healthline.com/health/ost...ses#Makeafist3

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/sls-20076952

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/...nger-exercises

• Members

Meds? Pffft. I say work that hand till it brings tears to your eyes and then just keep working it till it goes numb, which it will. let your body know you still need that appendage and do it vigorously. You have absolutely nothing to lose from it whereas favoring it guarantees loss. I have it in both elbows and treat them to rigorous workouts with 15 pound dumbbells when they get cranky. The workout puts them in good shape again. I've never taken meds nor followed any so-called medical professional advice to favor them or suffer worsening the inflammation. That's the same thing as saying roll over and die, which is not an option, but my intent is to get there eventually only after being genuinely and completely used up rather than coddled and crippled.

• Members

Shadydog - not sure where your coming from but being 64 does not make you an old guy -you might think im one of

those crazy half empty or half full guys , im not -your just not that old - so

the advice to have any guitar properly set up is the best and cheapest fix .

Not knocking any guitar - but take your time and take somebody with you who can play, so you can hear the guitar

as other people hear it - dont fall into the " it looks like a nice guitar " trap -just because it has a burst finish and sparkles !

doesn't mean its a good guitar - construction quality and great wood makes a guitar durable -time and quality of build make it a good sounding guitar !

• Members

Geez, Freeman's older than me! OMG! As one of the senior statesmen herE (68 this Friday) I have the same problems you do and I've been playing for 55 years (poorly). I have arthritis, a bad back, a fused leg that sticks straight out and it is painful for me to play to say the least. I recently stopped playing for about a year and decided to play again and realized quickly that I couldn't play steel strings anymore. I've switched to nylon and it's much better BUT it doesn't make the arthritis go away. I try to finger a fret and totally miss, fingers are stiff, etc. The more I play the better it gets though. Keep the faith. It will get better.

• Members
I'm new here so hello. I need some advice and I hope you can help. I'm a 64year old guy and recently tried to learn to play but finding very difficult. I have an electric strat, an Ibanez AW acoustic and a Keith Urban I bought on HSN. My problem is bad arthritis in my left hand, mostly in my thumb and index. It seems I can't depress the strings properly and I just can't get comfortable with any of them. Is there anything I can do or is this just the way it is?

Hey, Shady -

I'm 64, too! Will you still need me? Will you still feed me?

My gut response: it's just the way it is. I bought a dobro a few years ago to give my left hand a break. All I have to do is hold a steel bar and slide it around. Painless.

As Big Al says, nylon might be worth trying, too.

Take anti-inflamatories. Don't push it. Enjoy yourself. And welcome!

• Members

Unfortunately, anti inflammatory meds are not an option. Dangerous interactions with other meds. I bought a 3/4 Gianini and I like it. Inexpensive and comfortable. I'm wearing a brace and I'll see how this works. Thanks for the help.

• Members

To each their own, GW. Let's not beat that dead horse. Personally, I'd love to get my hands on one and un-Zagerize it just to see how it'd go over.

PS: I hate Big Pharma. I thought this board was for aging hippes who were into herbal alternatives and other types of elixirs? I hear good things about flax seed and apple cider vinegar... and other things that are now legal in most states, despite what the feds say.

Archived