Any Fingerpickers? Little Martha

maplebaby

• Members

Again, very nice. I struggled for a long time with that song, particularly the section where it goes to the barre at 5 and I just couldn't do the pinkie stretch to get the one note on the 5th string. I had almost given up when we went to a Leo Kottke concert (I was in about the second row) and when he did LM I realized that he dropped the barre, grabbed the note then went back to the barre - I went home and LM was mine! I noticed that you do basically the same thing....

The version of LM that I want to see a video of is Jerry Douglas - he plays it on his dobro and I know he can do some pretty radical bar slants but I want to see how he does this (my Pandora acoustic guitar station frequently has a version of LM, often Douglas's)

Last LM story - we saw the Allman Band (new version with Warren Haynes in the Duane seat) and the curtain call was LM. But when I looked at the stage nobody was playing - it was a recording of Duane and the band was just standing there paying their respects. The audience did also.

• Members

Such a great post - thanks! Sounds like we share a common love and appreciate for this never old masterpiece from Duane. Love the story about Kotke - good seats pay off! I'll be giving Jerry D version a good listen and the last story honestly gave me goose bumps - great story!

• Members

This seems to be someone I haven't heard of covering Douglas's cover of LM. I also did find a couple of videos of Douglas playing it but this is just plain incredible (there is some looping and over dubing going on which I hear on the Douglas version)

[video=youtube_share;nWWBBLb6J4o]

It's a wonderful song, no matter who plays it or how its done. Thanks again for sharing your version.

Archived