Yamaha fg800 vs fg700s

Pumukk

• Members

Hello, I´m going to buy my first acoustic guitar and I´m thinking in one of these two models. I can also buy a 720s (Second hand) cheaper than the 800s.

I read a lot about the Yamaha fg series and I think for a 1st guitar I´m not going to feel the difference of buying a better one like the 720, 820 or 730, 830. But I don´t know which one buy.

Would you go for the new model? Do you think a 800s is better than a 720s?

Thanks a lot

• Members

All are great choices for an entry into acoustic playing. The major difference between the 700 & 800 series is the newer 800 series has scalloped bracing and that lends itself to a better tone.

The reviews on the 800 series have been favorable. That would be my choice.

• Members
All are great choices for an entry into acoustic playing. The major difference between the 700 & 800 series is the newer 800 series has scalloped bracing and that lends itself to a better tone.

The reviews on the 800 series have been favorable. That would be my choice.

Thanks this thursday I´ll go to the musicshop and I´ll try both. I think I´ll buy the fg 800s

• Members

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I haven't played the FG800 but it appears to be the same guitar as the FG700S except for the bracing. FWIW, there are plenty of good guitars without scalloped bracing and plenty with it. I know this might not sound helpful but the best guitar for you is the one you like, the one that sounds and feels best to your ears in your hands. Play both and let us know your impressions.

• Members

I went to the musicshop but they didn't have the new model yet. I'll go back next week, thanks for the help. I think "try but yourself and fell the difference" is the best advice anyone can give you when you are looking for a new guitar. I hope next week I'll write something about my experience. (sorry for my English)

• Members

Musician's Friend has a new FS700S Concert-bodied guitar coming June 10th selling at $159 with a solid spruce top. I have played some FS720 guitars over the years that sounded great. I've also played some that just sounded dead. They are made in China, not Japan, so, it might be chalked up to hit and miss quality on those. And it might just be an odd guitar that is not as nice initially and will open up well (sounding better with age). I hope you enjoy whichever you choose.

• Members

Buying a guitar is difficult. The guitar that you buy will maybe be with you forever. It will be an object of sometimes affection and other times frustration. You will learn about it, get accustomed to it, and if you take care of it then it will take care of you in return.

It is even more difficult for the first time buyer. There is a seemingly endless array of options available. Additionally, the relationship you build with this guitar – your first guitar – will, at least in part, define your relationship to the guitar as an instrument in general.

There are some things, however, that can make finding the right guitar easier. The first thing I tell everyone who is on the market for their first instrument is this: find somewhere to try out some of the products that are available. Doing your research is good (we’ll get to that soon), and reading a buying guide is helpful, but nothing can replace the feeling of a guitar in your hand. Nothing can match the experience of comparing the sound of one instrument to another.

If it isn’t possible to find the exact guitars you are thinking of buying, then go to a guitar shop and play similar guitars – guitars in the same price range, with similar body styles, with similar component parts, etc. Play as many different instruments as you can. It is good to get a feeling for the different sorts of things the landscape has to offer.

Almost as important as physically playing a variety of guitars is to do your homework. Reading this guide is a great start, but you should look into whatever guitars you think you might want to buy and do some more research. Find out what it means that they have the features they have. Read various reviews of the guitars to get a sense of what people are saying about them. Find videos of people playing them. In general, spend some time learning about the instruments you are considering.

Finally, consider your needs and your budget. If you only have $100 to spend, for example, then the less expensive guitars on this list are a great place to start. Whatever you decide, make sure you consider your individual needs. The best acoustic guitars for beginners are the best acoustic guitars for the particular needs of the beginners who are buying them (more on this later).

YAMAHA 700 S is the picture of affordable quality, and for that reason alone it deserves the top spot on our list of best beginner acoustic guitars. At just under $200, it is quite easy on the pocketbook; but its features are impressive. While clearly aimed at beginners, this guitar sounds and feels quite professional. It is nearly impossible to beat it for the price.

This guitar comes standard with a rosewood fretboard, die-cast tuners, and binding. Those are all things that you would expect from a more expensive guitar, but not necessarily from a guitar costing $200.

The most impressive thing about this guitar, however, is its top. Its top is solid maple rather than laminate, which drastically increases the tone. The maple provides a lot of clarity, while the rosewood fretboard softens the tone slightly. The result is certainly impressive.

Most owners report good playability right out of the box. Combined with the impressive tone, that makes the 700S the best acoustic guitar for beginners of almost any kind

• Members

Hi guys, I bought a Fg730 (second handed) almost new for less than a fg800 new and I didn't try the others. But when I be around a musicshop I'll try the 800 and I'll write something here. Thanks everybody for the advices!

Archived