Hey team players, waiting for NGD

superfluidity

• Members

Hi Freeman, nice meeting you, this particular 'E' model was built in 2000 and the inlay work is the work of Kathy herself, I don't know but my guess is Jimmi was only dreaming of becoming an inlay artist at that time.smiley-happy For me, I could do without the bling myself, but as far as I can research and tell, the large amount of shell will not impair the transfer of sound from the compliment of Ebony. I see you are a lutheir, what is your thoughts on that? I mean I am ok with the bling but I am really wanting the crisp clean sustain, focus and presence of the aged tonewoods and I was sold on the demo. So, here I am, waiting for UPS, but I think it could be another two weeks, uggggg... Ha Ha

I think Jimmi has been doing inlay for her mom for quite a while now but don't really know when she started. I've seen a really nice article in American Lutherie about her work.

My thoughts about inlay are pretty simple - some of the finest guitars form some of the best builders (Kathy, Grit Laskin, Martins 42 and 45 series, and so on) are the blingiest - doesn't seem to detract from their sound or their value. I do think that the pearl purfling (boarder around the top) has to have some effect on the sound - there is a pretty deep channel cut into the top that certainly must "free it up". Builders have been thinning that area for years, Taylor is doing a special little routing to achieve that effect. Its not why the pearl is put there, but it has to have an effect.

We want more pictures and maybe a clip when you get it.

• Members

Oh, my. That is really quite nice. I'm at work and can't see the clip but if it sounds half as good as it looks... 'Way too rich for my blood but congratulations and Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day. Oh, and if it's not your last guitar there's something seriously wrong. ;)

• Members

Congrats to you. I can imagine your anticipation.

On the topic of MOP inlay, who's to know if it inhibits or compliments sound? It's a rigid crystalline structure that should move with a frequency rather than dampen it. Anyone ever get any quantitative or quantitative data on it? At this point in the game I'm surprised there isn't considering all the hoopla regarding everything else from headstock to strap jack.

Archived