Suggest me a good guitar

Tacenda

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are several low-end Martin guitars and Taylor guitars in that price range. The Taylor GS-Mini is a good choice. The new Breedlove Discovery series comes in around $300 and I have not seen a bad one, yet. Guitar Center is running lots of sales right now.

• Members

Fender has had a bad rep in terms of acoustics for a long time, You just can not bolt a few pieces of wood together and have an acoustic. The magic in electrical Fenders lies in the electronics, not in the wood. For a long time, Fender's acoustics have been made for Fender, not by Fender and the high-end custom shop models have been made by Gretsch and/or Guild (both belonging to Fender).

Martins are grand, but the cheaper X-Series do not cut my mustard. Series 15 and above, yes, GP-Series, yes, but the X-Series is a good stage/tour guitar due to it being robust, but to me, they lack in sound.

In the midrange - as in below 1k$ - you can not beat Far Eastern production when you apply western Quality Control to it. Sigma does and so does Yamaha.

• Members

First, "Good sound" is subjective. I can point you at some reputable brands and let you take it from there. Second, guitars that "Have built in tuner" are normally acoustic/electric. That means they have pickups for plugging into an amp and usually a cutaway. Both those features add cost and you don't actually need electronics unless you play out and you don't need a cutaway at all. You can get a good clip-on tuner for $15-20 or a perfectly serviceable one for $5 or so. I bought a pair of them a while back for $11 shipped including batteries: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/31525656-ntd-new-tuner-day-and-review. Third, in your price range, forget Martin. Their low-end models aren't great and you can do better. Fender acoustics don't get a lot of love but they're not really bad guitars, it's just that there are other options that many folks would choose first. Ibanez acoustics aren't well liked either but I have one I like a lot. katopp and garthman gave you a good list of brands to start with. I'd add Alvarez, Breedlove, Ibanez, Seagull, Takamine, Washburn, and Walden. What's available where you are? If we know that, we can help narrow down the options.

• Members

So just what brands are available there? Do you have access to a store or do you need to order something? If you're near a city or large town you should be all right, if you're in a rural area not so much. Buying sight unseen can be a crap shoot. Better to buy a guitar you've played, IMHO. But if that's what you need to do there are brands like Yamaha that are consistently good.

• Members

Tacenda, what guitars have you actually played? What did you like/dislike about each?

I'm going to be the devils advocate here and suggest that in todays market most guitar for $600 will be pretty darn similar in quality, construction and features. Because of labor costs you will usually get a lot more guitar with PacRim manufactures than US, however for those of us living in the US you frequently get a better warranty and service on US made guitars.

That said, only you can decide if you really like a guitar and if it has "good sound". Get out and play everything you can, then tell us what you decided on.

btw - I do a lot of repairs and Fenders seem to have a higher frequency of bridge failures than most any other brand (and I'm not impressed by the way they prepare their bridges for assembly). That would be enough to keep me from every buying a Fender - obviously others will have different milage.

• Members

You said ''We have tanglewood fender takamine here'' so I suggested you look at Tanglewood. If they're not available, why mention them? Now I'm confused. Forget the Taylor 210E. It's around $1000, more than you want to spend. Even the plain 210 is around $800. You might find the 110E for $650 or so. If Takamine is actually available where you are, you might look at them. The GD20 has a solid cedar top and the satin finish you said you wanted. It sells for around $300.

• Members

Yes takamine will rock do they have something more colorful the gd20 is nice but plain don't have the looks . If looks the fender Tim Armstrong hellcat is winning . What do you think ?

Update : So I searched bout Cort and I found they have some pretty decent guitars what do you reckon ? And my country have them too . I have my eyes on the Earth 300 VF and the MR710F which one do you think is the best . And do you know any good ones from them ?

• Members

What I asked was what other guitars have you played? Actually gone into a store and sat down and played it. Compared with others. You know, did your own research.

If the Fender PM-1 sounds "good" to you and plays the way you like and fits all your other criteria, then buy it. Its probably a great guitar at that price point - I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

• Members

Freeman, Tacenda is not initiated. He is thinking in terms of brands and brand value, not in terms of sound and quality. So, to him, a Fender is better than an Alvarez Yairi, because he has seen Fender Stratocasters and Telecasters everywhere and they have a good reputation. But he never has seen an Alvarez Yairi in his whole loife, nor has he ever heard of the brand. Hence it has to be inferior to Fender, which you can see everywhere.

Pretty much like Cadillac is better than Chevrolet, Lincoln is better than Ford and Chrysler is better than Dodge, I guess....

• Members

The Takamine G51-BSB should be colorful enough for you: http://www.takamine.com/GD51-BSB. It sells for about $330 but it has a gloss finish. Cort makes a nice guitar; in fact, they're the second largest maker of guitars in the world and they make guitars for a good many well known brands including my Ibanez. The Cort Earth 300VF is a nice guitar but it has electronics you don't need. The straight 300V is the same guitar without electronics for less money. It has a MSRP of US$535: http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/cort-unveils-new-earth-300v-and-300vf-for-2014. The MR710F isn't available without electronics and I wouldn't recommend it for that reason. The Hellcat, again, has built-in electronics you don't need, plus it's made primarily to look cool, and it's a Fender with the iffy QC Freeman Keller has associated with them. I'd pass.

• Members

The PM-1 is probably a nice guitar but it's also about $1000 in the US, well above your budget. Let me repeat what Freeman asked: What guitars have you actually played? Not seen online and thought ''That looks cool'' but actually played.

• Members

First of all sorry I think I've flag your post . I've forgotten you have to go up and press comment again . What's do bad about built in electronics ? And I've saw Cort l900 , it's a bigger size parlor and it has a satin finish but I've seen comments saying that it has a incomplete finish

• Members

Only a few Ibanez but then again I've not really played a lot and compare to these ibanez isn't really great . I live quite faraway from a music store which has more or most products . So I would like to make a decision at home and go try it out

Guys, I'd suggest going from comments back to individual posts... it's getting confusing and hard to follow the conversation, and a minute ago I just got a reported / flagged post, which I think was probably in error since it was from Tacenda, and the reason given was:

"What's so bad about electronics ? I also saw a Cort l900p is bigger than a parlor and it has a satin finish"

Archived