Recent international carry on guitar experience

Emory

• Members

Last week I flew EVA from Seattle to Bangkok. I load up on goodies when visit USA, as I live in Thailand. This time included lovely Vox semi hollow with case (putting this in acoustic as more fragile than electrics). Check in agent told me could carry on if 39" or less in length, got out tape measure and case is 43.5" (as would be most guitars I reckon). My reply was "Only guitars less than 39" would probably be travel guitars. I've been traveling EVA for more than 20 years, always bring a guitar back with me and never had a problem. In fact was told once prefer I carry it so if damaged would be my fault. FAA clearly states people can carry on guitars".

He went away for a few minutes, came back with print out of company policy, high lighted 39" sentence. He suggested I check guitar, move some things from my second bag (carry on size), and take two carry ons. Thought a minute, then recalled carryon had quart of maple syrup, Aussie licorice, bag of coffee beans.... all would have gone in TSA bin.

Asked to see supervisor. He shows up, repeats 39" story, company policy regs. I said doesn't matter what your company policy is if it does not comply with FAA regs. Federal law trumps company policy. Suggested he look at FAA web page on computer. Was assertive and kept my cool. He finally said "just this one time" and depends on decision of cabin crew, may have to check at gate, etc. Face saving I suppose.

No problem putting in overhead bin (747) with room to spare, same for 777 from Taipei to Bangkok.

I would suggest wise traveler might wish to print out FAA page for back up. https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical Under the rule, musical instruments as carry-on items are treated no differently from other carry-on items and the stowage space should be made available for all carry-on items on a “first come, first served” basis. -

5f5af242d19366b5dfec16bab868070a.JPG.faf9832cde8d0c0c54170a21a93e74f3.JPG

• Members

Won't help here in Europe. AerLingus does not even gate-check guitars and requests to have then handed to the gorillas at check-in. While still charging you $80 per flight/leg for the privilege. If the gorillas damage the guitar, prepare for a lengthy fight. And mentioning the FAA regulations, they say that they are Irish and that the FAA may bugger off. I had the gorillas at CDG damage a case - the guitar inside survived because the case died for it. Lengthy conversation with AerLingus followed, they denied any responsibility until I had a letter from my lawyer sent to them via registered mail. Only then they took responsibility but they made so much fuss about replacing the broken case that in the end I gave up and in.

Won't fly with them ever again and so won't friends and family.

• Members

Bummer, katopp. I think if airline is flying to USA then have to follow FAA rules, sorry I didn't mention that. EVA probably could or would be less accommodating on strictly Asia or Asia-Europe, etc flight. Philippine Air had me check my travel guitar, so even size that is not beyond the reach of the atonal bureaucrats in business. The rules on size popped vision in my head: "You can bring tuba on board as long as it fits in a hat box".

Here hopefully is shot of (right to left) dread Breedlove, then Crafter travel they made me check, then Yamaha travel that has bolt on neck, so if they got ugly can just loosen strings and drop in bag.

d90605298d6ceb8f6f4bb791222c0124.JPG.b21f16e310f38acf7070d0e3453371df.JPG

• Members

Yeah, flying to/from the US of A, they have to obey FAA rules and regulations, but Dublin-Paris doesn't qualify for transatlantic. Btw. seats DUB/CDG have been $40, the guitar did cost me $80 as "special luggage" and no, I could not book a seat for "Mr. Guitar" as it has no ID card to complete the booking. No ID - no ticket - no seat. Oh, and you would have to pay extra for assigned seats, otherwise you would end up in 4A, while Mr. Guitar is in 26C...

• Members

Jeez... I guess serial number doesn't count as ID. Some day when bored and drank too much coffee might want to ring up some bureaucrat about getting an ID number for Mr. Lowden, or whatever brand may be. Formally adopt guitar (could never sell it however....). If not vintage, could say it is your "baby" and under 18? Heck if dogs can get credit cards....

Archived