VOM1T February 2016

garthman

• Members

And it's St Valentines Day on Sunday too so by all means be topical if you are so inclined. Or not - anything goes as usual.

Which is the route I'm taking this month. I did a Paul Simon song a couple of VOMs ago and here is another - a slow and gentle version of:

Old Friends / Bookends

https://app.box.com/s/xv5ojmgscwo340y2wpg4yfifk3olnhmz

"How terribly strange to be 70" LOL when I first heard this song all those years ago that age seemed a very distant prospect. Now it looms ever closer - 67 next.

Played on my nylon string dred. 1st take with computer mic and Audacity as usual.

Sorry for (1) my slightly croaky voice - I have a cold, (2) the extraneous noise at around 1m 45s when my stapler jumped off my desk and (3) the spot where I nearly forgot the words a short time later. Typical first take stuff.

• Members

Opting for anything goes, apologies to Howard and Mark in advance for ruining the threads light-heartedness. Howard, always liked the song and I didn't hear the calamity you described except the stapler header. Mark, good to have you on the VOM again and cool approach with the cam. If anyone can't figure out the song from that vantage point it's because they don't want to.

----------------------------------

This is via my current rig of a Yamaha CG-110CE classical > Fishman SA220 > Zoom H4 > Garage Band. It's the only way I play at the moment.

Original song, insensitive on at least two levels, maybe three if I'm one of them, but nothing more than an observation of the real world.

It's called Buying Bridges. Instead of taking the head off the ogre I'm swinging at its legs in this song.

https://app.box.com/s/6ra1s7ohxnh9vvmhg6unpwq3o3pwnbc9

• Members

Good stuff!

Garthman - good memories and nicely done.

Queequeg - that is nice playing and a good sound on the baritone

Idunno - good playing, nicely written and performed

My entry was recorded live on January 28 at a show I did at a local library. It was recorded direct from the PA. I am using my Luna Trinity 6-string in open D. There is a bit of rambling intro to explain how this song is for my wife marking our 23 years together.

https://soundcloud.com/garyblanchard/09-still-alive

• Members

What a totally interesting cross section,

First, Howard, I am old enough to have heard Paul Simon sing that in 1967 (while dating the woman who has been my wife of 51 years) - thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories

Q, that was really cool. I'm trying to figure out the tuning - its got all the notes of a D but with that b on top. Works really well on the bari. Also the GoPro is kind of an neat perspective.

Idunno, I listened twice to that and I'm going to do it again. Pretty powerful song.

And Gary, I was a bit misty when that finished. Congratulations and thanks

• Members

Sorry, nothing from me again this time. Maybe next month.

garthman - That brought back memories. Thanks for sharing.

Queequeg - Haven't heard that one in a while either.

Idunno - Great original. Powerful and moving.

Gary Blanchard - I can relate. My wife and I hit 30 years of marriage back in September. Great song and I loved the introduction.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
And it's St Valentines Day on Sunday too so by all means be topical if you are so inclined. Or not - anything goes as usual.

Which is the route I'm taking this month. I did a Paul Simon song a couple of VOMs ago and here is another - a slow and gentle version of:

Old Friends / Bookends

https://app.box.com/s/xv5ojmgscwo340y2wpg4yfifk3olnhmz

"How terribly strange to be 70" LOL when I first heard this song all those years ago that age seemed a very distant prospect. Now it looms ever closer - 67 next.

Played on my nylon string dred. 1st take with computer mic and Audacity as usual.

Sorry for (1) my slightly croaky voice - I have a cold, (2) the extraneous noise at around 1m 45s when my stapler jumped off my desk and (3) the spot where I nearly forgot the words a short time later. Typical first take stuff.

this is great ,hope you don`t mind me saying you sound like roger waters ,

Archived