Music?

Idunno

• Members

Where did it go? It was there just a minute ago. Now I can't seem to find it no matter where I look.

On a weird tangent to this guitar playing (not coveting) stuff I find myself wondering what to play. If I think back on it a bit I'm stumped. There was a lot of good stuff that spirited me into learning to play and now it's all gone. I don't know what to play anymore and, moreover, haven't had the essential curiosity to get off the couch about it. The stuff used to move me but I was young and it was new. Now I'm old and it's passed its prime. Guess I'll think of something.

• Members
. . . . Where did it go? It was there just a minute ago. Now I can't seem to find it no matter where I look.. .

Joe. I assume you are referring to "popular" music. It has, alas, been largely replaced by computer gibberish. I will have nothing to do with it. I switched my listening to other genres long ago.

. . On a weird tangent to this guitar playing (not coveting) stuff I find myself wondering what to play. If I think back on it a bit I'm stumped. There was a lot of good stuff that spirited me into learning to play and now it's all gone. I don't know what to play anymore and' date=' moreover, haven't had the essential curiosity to get off the couch about it. The stuff used to move me but I was young and it was new. Now I'm old and it's passed its prime. Guess I'll think of something. . . [/quote']

"Passed its prime" perhaps but it's still a lot better than modern stuff. I'm happy enough with revisiting old music and reinterpreting it. I suppose my repertoire is roughly 25% each: Dylan, Cohen, Traditional folk and stripped down acoustic versions of some electric band songs. Keeps me from loitering on street corners.

• Members

Street corners might be exactly where I need to loiter.

Anymore, when I hear the past reprised on someones guitar I nostalgically think of a place and time that I need to let go of. I'm pretty much always thinking that way about it. It's gone and part of me keeps it company. Going forward, I am who I am - 60 years a product of the world as it embraced and/or eschewed me - and have something to say about it. Stumbling along this far, I've acquired a half-full satchel of musical skills that might be wasted if I don't leave them in messages for posterity. There's something missing that isn't somewhere over my shoulder in the past, isn't being elicited by the present and may/may not be embodied in the cacophony being offered up as modern entertainment with all its techno-pacification. It's much simpler and natural to the human spirit, accessible and yet inexplicably shunned by measures found only in the artificial. I think it's called the truth.

• Members
I don't know what to play anymore and' date=' moreover, haven't had the essential curiosity to get off the couch about it. The stuff used to move me but I was young and it was new.[/quote']

Try a piece of music by Augustine Barrios, super fun to play and great music to boot. Try Julia Florida or Choro da Saudade.

• Members
Where did it go? It was there just a minute ago. Now I can't seem to find it no matter where I look.

On a weird tangent to this guitar playing (not coveting) stuff I find myself wondering what to play. If I think back on it a bit I'm stumped. There was a lot of good stuff that spirited me into learning to play and now it's all gone. I don't know what to play anymore and, moreover, haven't had the essential curiosity to get off the couch about it. The stuff used to move me but I was young and it was new. Now I'm old and it's passed its prime. Guess I'll think of something.

There's a song in there. Don't wait too long.

• Members

I can tell you one thing for certain.... spending time browsing the internet does not inspire songs.... getting out and having real life experiences and connecting with friends and loved ones does. Travel does as well. At least that's what works for me. I don't spend a whole lot of time browsing... I try and focus my time on creating.

• Members

Riff - I'll go that route and see what's up. Maybe you're right and I need to get the fun back into it.

Gil- I have a desire to write more than I have to cover but what I have to say isn't main stream. If I ever write another love song it'll be after I come back as a young impressionable Romeo character. Not holding my breath on that one, being of the secular persuasion. I have stuff to say about the human condition that I need to say for the record, even if it isn't popular, but it's preachy and even I get tired of me on that topic. It's like a chore waiting in my job jar. I never did like Pete Seeger, always bitching about this or that in his music, and often wonder if he pursued music or an agenda. I also wonder if he ever actually liked what he did. He didn't seem too terribly engaged in music as much as he did his messages of angst, warning and protest, though he did write some pretty good stuff, melodically speaking.

It's a spell that will pass.

Marc - I know. I have the lyrics. I'm just not sure they're listen-worthy.

• Members

That actually didn't suck. Hard to understand much of the lyrics but I got the message: He likes plus size wiminz catering to him, and singing about it as he dips and dances. Not exactly the subject matter and method I'm focused on but his follows the money formula. He wins.

• Members

Glad you liked it maybe this is closer to your subject matter & method preference...

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=PAuDabJri0I[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=zC8TwHuA7mg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=4Mwlnh2S8AA&feature=iv&src_vid=zC8TwHuA7mg&annotation_id=annotation_2110976809[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The duet is good. I think they could make Tiny Tim's Tiptoeing Through The Tulips gig-worthy. And the song structure and melody are also a good palette to work with, although the lyrical topic of a meaty-fanny and what to do with it doesn't move me to song. The song I put up in the VOM this go-round is closer to what I'm currently distracted by.

• Members

Nicely done..

I have had to stop playing due to a thumb injury not that I was ever close to your caliber.

Perhaps nylon strings are in my future.

Saw this on Fallon's Valentines day special which was mostly clips from his show.

Maybe we're getting closer to your distractions??!!

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=gc40zIaCw6U[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

On a weird tangent to this guitar playing (not coveting) stuff I find myself wondering what to play....

Taking second thing first, play whatever you want, of course!

For the first thing: I'm lucky. It might sound strange coming from a 63-year-old guitar player, but I don't like music. Never have. It's mostly terrible. Always was, probably always will be. At least, there's no sign that it's about to turn a corner. If you've ever shopped in a Kohl's department store, you'll know exactly what I mean. Or tuned in on a so-called "new country" station. Or tried to shop in a supermarket without getting the urge to run screaming out to the parking lot with your hands over your bleeding ears. Or watched one of those TV singing competitions.

But there have always been the exceptions. That's why I'm lucky. I manage to find some of them. I have to. Otherwise I'd go crazy. And I make up my own music - these days, I'm even in a couple of bands that like playing some of my stuff. It's Shinola, but it's my Shinola.

So. Where did it go? Where it always go. Lurking in the next dark alley, waiting to jump you when you stroll by. I've been mugged by enough music to know it can happen any time - even (especially?) when you least expect it.

You just have to get out there and take that stroll. Get mugged by music. Discover it. Let it discover you.

Del

http://www.thefullertons.net

( •)—:::

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

And in response to your original post.

I think that's a great question to be asking! In the same way as fiction and painting, music is about TRUTH. (and expressing TRUTH,no matter if it's an invented truth).

This is a very good place to find things that will resonate with you and maybe pull you somewhere....keep searching!

• Members

I liked that...can't see myself playing it on my acoustic but it had a good beat and I could dance to it...Ha ha...I just looked the other ones...I am not good enough to pull that off but the girl and guy duet were really good.

Archived