Need string advice

naboutboul

• Members

So, I've been playing my Ibanez Artwood fairly frequently. I love the fact that for $250, I got a rosewood back and sides AE with decent electronics in it. It is a great value for the $$. I've been using the 80/20 D'Addario EXP11 for a few years now but I'm finding that the high-end is a bit much for me. I'm trying to find a set with less high-end. I'm thinking of trying PB so if anyone can recommend me a decent set to try, I would appreciate it. I play 12-53

A friend highly recommends Martin's Monel MM12 strings. I'd like to try them but here is my issue. My guitar is set up for 12-53 and these are 12-54. I know I can just throw them on but I have a bit of buzzing on the first fret low e. So far, I haven't made any adjustments to get rid of it as my action is awesome and right where I like it and the buzzing doesn't bother me but I'm not sure if switching up (even from 53 to 54) would intensify the buzzing. Anyone have any ideas? The strings are only $7 so is it worth a try for me anyway?

Thanks in advance. Always a pleasure to hear advice from you guys.

• Members

Today on amazon.com they have " Martin SP's PB's" in light for 4.79

maybe try them -PB's may give you what your looking for . ( plus their long life strings- coated )

Worth a try -you never know -

remember that deal is only today !

My 3 favorite string's are the Dadarrio EXP's , Elixar 80/20's and PB's , as well as the Martin SP's -Typically i only use lights -I feel mediums are too hard on a guitar ( seriously )

Certain guitars sound better with Certain strings- no guide for that becasue its an individual sound preference ! (depends on you )

• Members

I think you have asked three different questions here. First, what is the difference between composition of acoustic guitar strings? Many years ago I did some comparison sound clips of different strings on one guitar and posted them here. The thread is long gone and the links would be broken, but to summarize in a few words, most people characterized 80/20 strings as being "brighter" while phosphor bronze was called "mellow" or "warm". It doesn't make any difference which manufacture you chose (with an exception that I'll mention in a minute - D'Addario, DR, Martin all sound pretty much the same as long as you choose by alloy.

The exception is that coated or long life strings tend to be a little more mellow - some people think the coating makes them sound slightly broken in. That applies particularly to Elixers - PB Nanowebs still sound like phosphor bronze but maybe after they've been played a bit. The trade off is longer life and in many cases less string squeak. Other long life strings from Martin, D'Addario and others don't seem to have this problem.

Next, the Martin Monel strings - I believe these are the ones that Tony Rice endorses. I have not tried them and frankly I don't intend to - my understanding is that they are supposed to have a "vintage" sound that I'm pretty sure I won't like. One of our forumites recently posted his comments - he said they were dull and lifeless. Obviously your friend likes them so take what I say with a grain and give them a go - you can always take them off if you don't like them.

Lastly, most of the time unless your setup is so marginal to begin with the change from one normal size (say lights, 0.012 - 053) to mediums (0.013 - 0.056) won't be noticeable other than a little harder to fret and bend. That is a change of 15 pounds or so of tension, about 10% and your setup should handle it fine. Obviously if you are having some buzzing (depending on where it is on the fretboard) adding a hair more tension might make it better by adding more relief.

Bottom line, strings are cheap and do make a difference in both the tone and the playability of your guitar. Best thing you can do is your own experiments - let your ears and fingers guide you.

• Members

Thanks, Freeman. I'm aware of the difference which is why I'm asking for recommendations on PB strings. With Martin strings, I'd be going from 12-53 to 12-54. I don't intend on going up to 13's. I've found I like 12's the best. I'll likely try the EXP16 although they are on the expensive side. The Martin SP Lifespan are about 1/2 the price. I think I'll try those first as well as the EXP PB and the Elixir Nanoweb PB.

I still have 2 sets of Elixir Nanoweb 80/20. If anyone wants to trade a set for a nice set of PBs, let me know!

• Members

I use Elixers almost exclusively but prefer PB's. I like lights on my normal acoustics and various combinations for the resonators and twelve strings. Their so called :"HD" set (mediums on top and lights on the bottom) was developed in conjunction with Taylor - I like them on medium bodied guitars

Elixer has a 3 for the price of 2 sale going on right now - they are pretty expensive but since I get 4 or more months out of them I think it pays off. I just recently stocked up

http://www.elixirstrings.com/bonuspack/

I know you were only thinking of changing the gauge of one string and that should not be a problem at all

• Members
Thanks' date=' Tony. Is this the set you are talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Martin-MSP4100-Phosphor-Acoustic-Strings/dp/B0002D0CA8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451754984&sr=8-3&keywords=Martin+SP%27s+phosphor[/quote']

Yeah - one thing ive noticed over time is that no one string is perfect for all guitars or playing styles -guess thats why i like 3 different strings and when you add PB's and 80/20,s -guess that makes 6 different choices ( at least for my three favorite brands )

Something else to add to equation is that the sound i like maybe different from the tone you expect from your guitar . guess thats also why their are so many brands and styles of guitars plus different wood choices .

• Members

Martin Monel strings are really vintage sounding.

I always thought, the old Robert Johnson recordings sounded like they do because of the crap recording technology, but indeed, strings played a part. If you want to sound like the early Delta bluesmen, like early Appalachian folkies, the Monel is the string for you.

If not - stay clear.

• Members
The question should be about how to go about eliminating the buzz' date=' or am I not playing along properly here? Throw some mediums on that puppy and crank on it. Otherwise, get the dang buzz fiximicated.[/quote']

I can fix the buzz easily but it comes down to whether I can deal with a tiny bit of buzz on 1 string at 2 frets and keep the action super low or raise my action to eliminate the buzz. I don't mind a bit of buzz. There's no way to completely eliminate it and keep the action where I like it. The question was whether a 54 instead of a 53 would increase the buzz. The buzz is coming from frets 1 and 2 on the low E. I have the saddle shaved down quite a bit to accommodate my action preference. Luckily, Ibanez included a replacement saddle in the box but I'd hate to adjust the relief in the neck right now cause I don't know if I'll be able to get the action back this low. I'm really digging it. Best action I've had on an acoustic in the last decade

• Members
I have a set of ultra light ga Monels ' date=' 11s, gonna try em either on my new Epiphone Broadway or my Gretsch Jim Dandy with sound-hole pickup.[/quote']

Awesome. Let me know how you like them. My buddy swears by them and won't use any other string.

• Members

The question was whether a 54 instead of a 53 would increase the buzz. The buzz is coming from frets 1 and 2 on the low E. I have the saddle shaved down quite a bit to accommodate my action preference. Luckily, Ibanez included a replacement saddle in the box but I'd hate to adjust the relief in the neck right now cause I don't know if I'll be able to get the action back this low. I'm really digging it. Best action I've had on an acoustic in the last decade

As a rule of thumb, if the frets are perfect (and that's a big if) AND you have buzzing in the first few frets you need a little more relief. If it buzzes near the neck to body joint (12 - 14) you need less relief and/.or higher action.

A heavier gauge string will increase the relief (altho going up one one thousands of an inch on one string won't change it very much) - therefore in theory it should help. The depth of the nut slots only affects the open string (and maybe a bit of back string clearance on the first couple of frets). As everyone here knows by now, I go by feel on a guitar for sure but also am pretty anal about measuring all of the aspects of action to know exactly where I'm at.

Short story, I don't think you'll tell any difference. And be sure to tell us what you think of the Monels if you try them.

• Members

When are you getting the buzz? If it's on the open string, the nut slot may be a tad too deep. Ibanez will sell you a new nut that possibly doesn't have slots that are as deep. You may also need to add relief. First, make sure your guitar is properly humidified. Put a capo at the first fret, press down the string at the neck/body joint, and measure the clearance between the fret and the string at the 7th fret with a feeler gauge. There should be about .008" of clearance if you're a strummer, you can get by with less if you play fingerstyle. This link will explain what to do and how: (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/truss-rod.php). Bear in mind, if you add a significant amount of relief, your action will go up. That's simply a fact of geometry. You're trying to achieve a balancing act.

With my AW120 and its "Ivorex II" nut, I found that the G string would bind in the slot unless I was using 80/20 strings. I never found an explanation but I eventually replaced the nut with Tusq and I can use PBs any time I want. The difference between a .053 and a .054 is minuscule; your guitar will never notice and neither will you. Please don't worry about it. Over the years, uncoated DRs have turned out to be reasonably long lasting strings but be aware that they use nonstandard terminology for their gauges: a set of 12's is called "medium gauge," everyone else calls 13's mediums. That said, I like plain uncoated d'Addario strings but Martin also makes a good string, as do several other makers. Back when I was still using 80/20s I sometimes bought Ernie Ball Earthwoods on sale at Guitar Center.

• Members

Hey,

Personally I like elixirs best. I've had good experience with cleartones as well. The clear tones don't last as long but new give similar performance to elixirs. Nothing beats elixirs though in my opinion. Sound is subjective though.

Im trying to remember poly web or nano web. One has less coating and that's what I like. I think it's the nano web. They feel more like "regular" strings. The poly web are very slick which can be great too. Depends on your style of play. You need to spend some cash and see what you prefer. I would go with the elixirs, they are expensive but they last twice if not more than the cheaper brands.

Archived