Fender DG60ce or Epiphone AJ220 sce??

scorpio72

• Members

I'm at the improver stage looking to get further lessons and get better. Hoping to pick up a second hand guitar, looking at a fender dg60ce or an epiphone aj 220sce.

Both look nice though I think the fender is laminate top while epiphone is solid top. Both are selling for about the €100 mark,second hand.Epiphone is about 18 months old while the Fender is older. I know I need to play both of them and get a feel but which would you guys lean towards? Or is there others at my price range that you would recommend? Thanks

• Members

First, welcome to the forum Scorpio. Second, tell us a little more about yourself - your location, a bit more about the music and style that you like to play. Third, I know you are looking at used guitars but do you need the electronics and cutaway that these two models have. That might open a lot of choices (or limit them).

Of the two I would personally chose the Epi for one simple reason. I repair guitars and in the last year I have had two Fender acoustics come across my bench with bridges lifting from the top. I have been totally unimpressed by the factory worksmanship in making that all important joint - they did not adequately remove the finish down to bare wood under the bridge and the glue joint failed. I'm not saying that all Fenders are this way (and I certainly see loose bridges on other brands) but I would suggest carefully looking at the one you are thinking of buying - try sliding a thin piece of paper or a feeler gauge around the bridge to see if it is coming loose.

Otherwise, just be aware of all of the other things about a used guitar - neck angle, condition of the frets, any significant structural issues, action and playability. You'll get a lot of good advice on the forum here from people with their own preferences but the most important thing is for you to choose the one that sounds and plays best for you.

• Members

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Sight unseen, of those two models, I'd take the Epiphone due to the solid top. I'm going to assume that you know what you want so I won't try to talk you into something else. That said, I have no idea of the condition of either guitar. If you have a knowledgeable friend, take him/her along and have him/her play both guitars while you listen. In either case, as Freeman said, look closely at the guitar and check it out for obvious structural issues.

Archived