VOM1T December 2015

garthman

• Members

Hello everyone.

Off we go again. I mentioned in the advance notice thread that some seasonal songs would be nice (though, of course, as usual, anything goes) so I thought I ought to do one. Please do your best to post something, folks!

O Men From The Fields (A Cradle Song)

Words by Padraic Colum. Music by Arnold Cooke

https://app.box.com/s/egjz94n3mrxgk8jfb076uy5fm046xydf

The song was first published in 1913 with words by the Irish poet Padraic Colum (he also wrote "She Moves Through The Fair" with which some people may be familiar) set to music by Irish composer Herbert Hughes. To me that version sounds a bit like a Handel oratorio. The words were revisited by English composer Arnold Cooke in 1961 who came up with a much simpler and, to my ears, a much more haunting and beautiful arrangement.

This is my take on the song. Played on my lute guitar, one take with my computer mic and Audacity.

• Members

garthman - Well done as usual. Can't say I'm familiar with that one but that's part of the fun. You always seem to offer something new (well, new to me).

Freeman - Well played. Just the thing for a winter's night. The story goes that "Silent Night" was originally written for guitar but somehow I don't think Mohr and Gruber had a dobro in mind.

Sorry but nothing from me this time around. Too much Christmas busyness.

• Members

Later than I expected but I made the deadline.

This song melody is known to most as What Child Is This, by William Chatterton Dix, who in 1865 took the liberty of lifting it wholesale from Greensleeves, effectively wiping that rather endearing song (of unknown renaissance authorship) forever from our catalog of romantic works floating in the public domain. What a Dix...

Whether you embrace it as the original or in its conversion, the spirit remains the same either way from me.

The guitar is a Yamaha CG-110CE classical plugged and played through a Fishman SA220 to a Zoom H4, two takes. The first one failed to record due to dead batteries in the H4 - Doh!

https://app.box.com/s/s2e5d0ya9msrw4790swhkne161rpbsna

Garthman, yet another song new to me. Of course, I tubed it and got the opera versions of indiscernible chortling so I had to go ogle the lyrics as well. I'm pretty sure I like it better as you present it to us. And, lute guitar? Is that a real thing or something you assembled from your imaginative craftiness?

Freeman, nice playing of Silent Night. This is the first time to my memory I've hear you play it.

• Members
. . . . Garthman' date=' yet another song new to me. Of course, I tubed it and got the opera versions of indiscernible chortling so I had to go ogle the lyrics as well. I'm pretty sure I like it better as you present it to us. And, lute guitar? Is that a real thing or something you assembled from your imaginative craftiness?. . . . . .[/quote']

Joe.

Thanks for your kind comments about the song.

And yes, my lute guitar is most certainly a real thing. Cute thing too - they were made in Germany from about the middle of the 19th C to the early part of the 20th C.

Some info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lute_guitar

And here is one being played by Jamie Boss of Hot Strings Guitars:

[YOUTUBE]cCaHfrluMQQ[/YOUTUBE]

Great playing on your contribution BTW

• Members

Right before Christmas I had a chance to visit with my first Love and it was very special.

I got a chance to tell her how much she has meant, and still means, to me and I felt inner peace after doing so.

We have always been friends over the years but our visits were not frequent.

It was a special visit for both of us and here is the outburst i wrote when i got home.

BTW, she took that photo of me back in 1979... that's my first guitar, a Harmony Sovereign

• Members

I had to travel the goog-tube and view the topic. I like the sound. I even stopped for a while and listened to some of those crazy long lutes with the organ-like bass strings. Great sound, though all the tunes were period pieces and held my interest only insomuch as the instrument's sound alone could hold it.

Archived