procrastination

gardo

• Members

Last spring I built a cabinet to keep my guitars in. Knowing that humidity is important I installed a nice hygrometer. The level has been 50% or better so I didn't do anything else. I'll have plenty of time to come up with something nice by winnter,right ? Well now the humidity is into the high 40's and still did nothing,so it's time to get off my butt. I started with a sponge in a zip lock freezer bag,we'll see what that does . So much for the fancy system I was going to come up with.

The point is ,It's time to watch that humidity

• Members

Carbon fiber. It may not sound like AAA Engelman/Braz but at 55% humadity neither does Engelman/Braz. My threshold for compromise has been adjusted by the reality of my recently reshuffled priorities. That comes down to the attention a fine instrument needs to maintain it in top condition versus my waning desire to mess with it. Anyway, I wasn't awe struck by the molded choices but neither was I disappointed. It's a worthy compromise which I'm perfectly at home making. A sponsor of ecology, which I'm not, is the labeling that goes with plastic guitar ownership. Maybe there's a badge involved.

• Members

For whatever reason, our flat's humidity level doesn't drop precipitously in the winter. A number of years back, I made a bunch of homemade humidifiers with small tupperware thingies and sponges, but they aren't necessary here. Lucky, I guess.

• Members

I spent more on a dehumidifier than most people are willing to spend on their guitar purchases. That's how far obtuse I got about it. Goofy. I have a use for the dehumidifier outside the scope of musical instrument care so it justifies it's cost in the absence of wood guitars. I've never had to hydrate a guitar except once when I lived in the cold climes. To fix that I hung it in a basement, which is always damp regardless of temp, and in a couple weeks all was good with it.

• Members

I too live in the northeast USA., Lancaster Pa. to be exact.. I 've given up on cases at home and consider the cabinet to be a giant multi-guitar case.. I have the cabinet lined with some sort of unfinished cedar which I hope will help out in stabilizing the humidity inside.. Right now the house is at 49%,if the house gets too dry I'll just keep the acoustics in the cabinet and play electric until the humidity is back into the 40's. Not ideal but that's the plan.

Archived