Martin Retro Strings

katopp

• Members

Well, the Euro crowd is still here, well at least partly and mostly lurking. Not much to discuss here except for the return of a still permadrunk permabanned Scot.

But then ... peeps may remember that I am an avid supporter of D'Addario EXP strings. They are about the only strings I play. I love the sound, the longevity and the fact that they can be stored for a long time as that allows me to buy bulk for cheap and store it until I use it...

But you shall never cage yourself in, paint yourself into a corner, so I thought that maybe I should try the Martin Retro strings.

Those Retro strings are made of "Monel" - one of the first "superalloys" and Monel itself is said to be very corrosion resistant, especially against saltwater. Sweat anyone?

So I've bought two sets and tried them on a cedar-topped Grand Auditorium and a spruce-topped Dread.

And I was disappointed from the get go.

The strings sound retro. Really retro. I always thought that the old - very old - Delta-/Piedmond blues records sounded like that because they had {censored} recording equipment. But if you like that sound, try those Martin Retro Monel strings. They instantly drag you back at least 100 years. But if you don't play this old-style blues, stay clear.

Oh, and even though they cost more than the standard Martin strings (but less than the Lifespans), they last as long as the standard Martin strings. About a tune-up, a soundcheck, a gig and the after-show session. Then they are gone.

And they are gone for good. Replaced them by EXP's as soon as I could. Man, fresh EXP sound sooo lovely.....

• Members

Thanks K, I was wondering about those. Are they the ones that Tony Rice endorses?

BTW - if people happen to like Elixers (as I do) they have a pretty good deal going on right now - three sets for the price of two. Follow this link to one of several stores, I bought mine from Elderly (who paid the shipping)

http://www.elixirstrings.com/bonuspack/

• Members

@FK yes, those are the "Retro" Strings.

And they are very, very, very retro. Too much for my liking. They sound dull, very restrained. Really like the old recordings. Think of a "double bass"-like sound... Deffo not my pot of tea...

• Members
Well, the Euro crowd is still here, well at least partly and mostly lurking. Not much to discuss here except for the return of a still permadrunk permabanned Scot.

But then ... peeps may remember that I am an avid supporter of D'Addario EXP strings. They are about the only strings I play. I love the sound, the longevity and the fact that they can be stored for a long time as that allows me to buy bulk for cheap and store it until I use it...

But you shall never cage yourself in, paint yourself into a corner, so I thought that maybe I should try the Martin Retro strings.

Those Retro strings are made of "Monel" - one of the first "superalloys" and Monel itself is said to be very corrosion resistant, especially against saltwater. Sweat anyone?

So I've bought two sets and tried them on a cedar-topped Grand Auditorium and a spruce-topped Dread.

And I was disappointed from the get go.

The strings sound retro. Really retro. I always thought that the old - very old - Delta-/Piedmond blues records sounded like that because they had **************** recording equipment. But if you like that sound, try those Martin Retro Monel strings. They instantly drag you back at least 100 years. But if you don't play this old-style blues, stay clear.

Oh, and even though they cost more than the standard Martin strings (but less than the Lifespans), they last as long as the standard Martin strings. About a tune-up, a soundcheck, a gig and the after-show session. Then they are gone.

And they are gone for good. Replaced them by EXP's as soon as I could. Man, fresh EXP sound sooo lovely.....

Good review Katopp. I also use EXP's or Elixirs - usually EXP's. They are a bargain.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
I'm sure the name is supposed to be evocative of tone from days gone by' date=' but it really doesn't work as intended on me - whenever I hear "retro strings", I wonder if they come pre-rusted and corroded out. :freak:[/quote']

Phil, Send me your new strings and I will 'relic' them for you.

Reasonable rates and about 4 weeks turn-around time (depends on how much I am rehearsing).

Be sure to ask for the "admin" discount.

Archived