Pickup for my Larrivee: la suite...

Misha

• Members

Remember my purchase of a Neo-D passive humbucker vs single coil pickup?

Well, I finally kept the humbucker because it's noiseless.

I also got a Yamaha THR5A that I wanted to use to record directly via the USB port. That was a month ago. Then I got an otitis/sinusitis... Now it's too late to exchange it!

The problem is that the volume is so low when I record with it that I don't even see a wave, just a line. If I amplify the signal then it also amplifies the noise to the point that it's unbearable!

Then I got an Ultrasound DI Plus preamp/ DI Box: a tiny bit better via the USB port but still unusable!

I found on the Web that I need to change the USB volume via the THR Editor software: there are 5 choices. I tried all 5 and heard no difference. But the 5 choices show no parameters!?

I wonder if I need to enter a parameter somewhere and what is the range? Someone knows about it?

Anyway, yesterday I got a pair of Behringer C2 condenser mics. They're ratively inexpensive but I hope it's going to be enough for me. I came back home, connected the mics: one of my cable is defective! GrrRrr!! Back to the store to get another XLR cable!

Does recording with microphones connected to a good sound card sound better than recording through the USB port of a Yamaha THR5A ??

The good - or bad thing (!) - is that my fridge ''fried'' last week. The new one is so silent that I can now consider recording with mics.

I'm not sure how to say that in English, but my kitchen and my living room are in an open space (à air ouverte).

I also got a filtering power bar to clean my signal and protect my equipment.

• Members

The quality of the signal when it gets converted to digital, plus the quality of the actual A/D conversion are keys.

Check the specs for your THR5A versus your sound card and use the one less likely to degrade the signal.

I wouldn't expect you to need a preamp with that pickup to get a decent level, so sounds like you're on the right track finding the input and output level controls on the THR5A.

• Members

I got 2 new XLR cables yesterday and tried the Behringer C2 microphones: I'm pleased with them! I think they sound good enough for me. I put them in front of my THR and I got a better result than the USB port. They can be used for vocals too and to record my little A&L Ami that is too small to install a sound hole pickup.

I tried both the THR-10 and the THR5A in stereo after a pedal and liked what I heard. Low volume, rich stereo sound. I didn't try to record both together, though, yet.

I still get some "pops" and "clics"from tome to time. I didn't have to worry about that with my old computer and its EMU PCI soundcard. I think the connection was more stable than USB ports.

• Members
The quality of the signal when it gets converted to digital, plus the quality of the actual A/D conversion are keys.

Check the specs for your THR5A versus your sound card and use the one less likely to degrade the signal.

I wouldn't expect you to need a preamp with that pickup to get a decent level, so sounds like you're on the right track finding the input and output level controls on the THR5A.

Haven't found yet but I like the Behringer C2 condenser mics. At least I have one working option!

I'm reading about latency and trying different parameters for my soundcard. There are pops and clicks when I record but maybe too many programs are running at the same time. I have anti-malware programs, a firewall, office suites running, etc. Maybe I need to disable some to get better results.

My computer is an Asus desktop PC, AMD A10 cpu, Windows 8.1, 12 Gb ram. It's not as powerful as an I5 or I7 by Intel but it's certainly more powerful than my old "partcaster" computer loaded with my (beloved) EMU Pci soundcard!

Well, at least, the THR5A sounds good, has nice effects (even a compressor) and is easy to carry. The preamp makes it louder and more tweakable.

• Members

Like if I was going to find someone with exactly the same guitars/pickups/microphones/sound card/amps/computer/ electrical components/ etc...

I suggest thinking then you post something intelligent if you can't just don't reply.

Archived