Archtop took a tumble

Etienne Rambert

• Members

I don't go easy on my guitars, I figure. I was practicing w/my archtop and piddling around w/some pedals. I laid the guitar on the bed, figuring it was secure. It wasn't. Wham! It hit the floor on the face. i felt good surveying the damage at first. A couple of small pockmarks was all I could see. Then I looked at the back. The horror! Two or three straight cracks - all the way through.

archtop_front_view3.jpg

archtop_crack_back2.jpg

archtop_rear_view.jpg

The light is harsh. But the repair was pretty good. It's smooth to touch and even, barely visible too in normal light. Still sounds fantastic plugged or unplugged. And she still looks pretty good too IMO, despite the abuse I've put her through.

• Members

All's well that ends well. Recently had a person toss a 9-volt battery to me while I was holding a guitar. It was for the on-board system in the guitar which had died while I was mid-song. I missed the catch. Honestly was not prepared for the throw. What idiot would toss a battery at a guitar-holding person? Anyway, the corner of the battery penetrated the top of the guitar. Stupid people will be stupid and others will suffer their company.

• Members

Koiwoi, I suppose catching flying batteries while holding a guitar is something I should have developed by now. I've just never encountered anyone who does that. Not only are you the first I know of who would do that, you and your buddies are, you say, also seasoned throwers of things at each other while holding guitars. I can't imagine what those things might be (beers, batteries, microphones, insults, cats, etc) so maybe you can elaborate if you have a sec.

• Members

Sorry to hear about the tumble but glad to hear the guitar survived with relatively minor injuries. As for throwing stuff at guitarists, I once used my first guitar, a $19.99 no-name Montgomery Ward special, as a shield during a snowball fight but I'd like to think I've matured since then. I was listening to a Christian group years ago and one of the guitarists, who was playing a sweet Yamaha 12-string, yelled out, "Sis, toss me my capo." The young lady proceeded to throw his capo to him. Even though he caught it, at the time, I owned a $49.99 mail order Ensenada and I thought to myself, "Not with my guitar!" To this day, I'd never do anything like that.

• Members

Anything smaller than a grapefruit, lighter than a brick and duller than a knife is fair game. If you hear someone yell "incoming" then you catch whatever is inbound. No, not open beers or cats.

It's just always been a thing. Hard to imagine that this is rare since I've experienced it from Canada, Trinidad, and NZ.

So I respect your right to not play this game and I won't call you stupid for it, but cut us "stupid risk takers" some slack.

• Members

Thanks Howard, though being an American, I'm not sure how you meant 'bugger', literally or metaphorically. It's a beautiful guitar, definitely my fave Mr. Binh axe. I may have mentioned, I record with it more than any guitar I own. I sort of crossed the Rubicon when I started putting electric guitar strings on it. I play it plugged in now - the only electric guitar I own. But for acoustic volume, I'll put it up against any arch-top out there.

It's repaired now. Maybe I'll find someone who can do a better cosmetic job on the back. But it looks better than that photo would lead you to believe.

• Members

I smashed my dad's archtop when I was a toddler.

After watching him play for a while I tried to pick up the guitar when he put it down to go do something. I couldn't hold it and fell down on top of it.

He repaired it without any experience as a guitar tech but would occasionally remind of of how much better it sounded before the break.

In an effort to make amends, I bought my dad a Gibson SJ Deluxe as soon as I got my first full time job.

My brother has the old archtop now. It's the guitar we both first learned on.

• Members

I bet my Dad wishes I broke his guitar... Instead I crashed his 1967 T-Bird at Age 3. He left the motor running at the gas station, I climbed into the driver's seat and set the Bird in motion. Went over a 8 ft embankment and bent the chassis. I didn't get my license until I turned 18...

• Members
Who did the repair work - did you do it yourself?

Sorry to hear about your guitar's tumble. Mojo sent.

No. Mr. Binh's my luthier. He repaired it. Glue outside around output jack and wood reinforcement inside. I'm still going to order a metal plate to put around the sound hole. A black one would look just right.

Sorry Phil. I didn't answer your question. I answered the output jack question. Binh repaired this one too. those cracks looked really gruesome. I'm surprised it came out as well as it did.

Still sounds like a million bucks.

• Members

No. Mr. Binh's my luthier. He repaired it. Glue outside around output jack and wood reinforcement inside. I'm still going to order a metal plate to put around the sound hole. A black one would look just right.

You mean a reinforcement plate around the jack hole, like a doubler plate? That would definitely ensure the thin sides stayed put when removing the cord. On that subject, I use a wireless Nady system. I like to walk around when playing and I seldom remove the transmitter (xmtr) from the jack. There's a power switch on the xmtr that shuts off the guitar.

On an OT Q, what's the Gulf Coast recipe for picadillo? My mom, raised in Biloxi, used to make it but she's gone now and took her recipes with her. All I can find are references to a "traditional Cuban dish" yet she learned it from her mother, etc, and AFAIK, the dish isn't specific to a culture. She was of immigrant parents (Yugoslavia) so maybe their version isn't regionally recognized. The Cuban and Creole styles are not what I have in mind. Her's was ground beef, onions and rice with seasonings and other ingredients I don't remember.

• Members

Sorry to disappoint. I have never heard or tasted Picadillo. But cooking is mostly about memory. You need to know how something tastes before you can cook it. That's where memory comes in. Reconstruct it from there.

The late, great Paul Prudhomme had ideas: blackened seasoning and the Turducken like I'm cooking this Thanksgiving. Not memory, but new ideas based on his memories of the taste of the ingredients.

There were a lot of Cubans in NOLA area in the Sixties. Not so many now. But I'd never heard of the dish, I looked uo a recipe for it. Interesting it had raisins for sweetness and olives for saltiness. Not many dishes include both.

• Members

Thanks, Marc. I attempted to reconstruct the recipe from scratch and came pretty close, I think, so I'll work on it. I also saw the raisin/olive recipe but those were not part of the dish I remember. I can't imagine raisins in it. I've seen them used in turkey stuffing, though.

Archived