VOM1T November 2015

garthman

• Members

Gil and Neal - you are too early! Patience is a virtue!

So off we go again. I've never covered any of Paul Simon's songs which is daft really since he wrote some very good stuff - especially (IMHO) his early compositions. So I'll have a go this month (as for all my covers, an interpretation rather than a replication):

Sparrow by Paul Simon

https://app.box.com/s/jt99ok741z4bbrxi5nvbdjppid02ma3e

Played on my nylon string dred. One take, recorded with Audacity via my computer mic.

• Members

I brought home from work a Martin 00CXAE Grand Concert :rolleyes2: to restring and clean up. I keep it there for the budding guitarists to mess with after hours over beers. I used it tonight to record with.

This recording is different from my usual method. Tonight I set the Zoom H4 up about 5 feet from a Fishman SA220 amp I'm using in the recording. The guitar is plugged into it as well as a Shure SM57 for voice. I'm certain the H4 picked up some of the voice as well.

The song is Old Man, by Neil Young. It's a one take from memory so pardon any missing parts, etc., which is normal for me with old covers. I don't think I can sing this one twice in a row.

https://app.box.com/s/4wyzl2vh77jajin4xx7w80iirp3q8khe

• Members

garthman - Haven't heard that one in years. IIRC, it's on the "Wednesday Morning 3 AM" album. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Idunno - Sounds fine to me. If there's anything missing, I didn't notice. Then again, my memory is notoriously flaky. sm-wink

riffmeister lives - Very nice. Great playing and composition. I'm truly envious.

• Members

Idunno...you did real good...sounds like you have been able to play out with no problem...very good singing and playing.

Riff...some excellent playing.

Deep...always give extra points for originals. The git sounded real good. Nice sound from it.

• Members

This was filmed on a warm October day in DuBois, PA. The owner of the venue did a live broadcast, but had the door open on the main street, so there is a lot of traffic noise. This song is from my son's favorite band, The Cure. You can hear him sing along at times. So far, this is the only time I performed this song live.

[video=youtube;H_TJEpq4-90]

• Members

Garthman - I recently picked up a new copy of Wednesday Morning 3 AM; I always loved that song, and you did a great job making it your own.

Idunno - I think Neil Young is one of the hardest artists to cover, but you nailed it. Great job.

Riffmeister lives - That is some beautiful and amazing playing. WOW!

Deep End - That is a very cool song and you presented it well. Fantastic.

I love these things.

• Members

Gary - Well done. I wish there was a song our daughter liked that I did too.

Freeman - I enjoyed it. Takes me back to my college days. I think that may be the first time I've heard it as an instrumental.

. . . Deep...always give extra points for originals. The git sounded real good. Nice sound from it.

Thanks. The guitar is an all laminated cheapie, upgraded with a bone saddle. It's a sitting-on-the-couch guitar and I rarely play it with a pick, usually just fingernails. I'd forgotten how well it projects.

• Members
Have you put this song up before? I don't believe I've ever heard Simon and Garfunkel play it' date=' either. Very sad song, well played. I'll have a go at finding their recording of it now.[/quote']

No, Joe, it's a new recording - done last Friday. A few days earlier I was visiting sis-in-law who was playing the CD - I hadn't played mine (vinyl) for years so it was nice to hear it after so long a time. And hence the song for VOM.

• Members
Garthman - I recently picked up a new copy of Wednesday Morning 3 AM; I always loved that song, and you did a great job making it your own.

I love these things.

Thanks, Gary. And yes, I love them too - a fine invention that's worth keeping.

Archived