Went to see CSN on Tuesday

Glenn F

• Members

Had pretty good seats, had a good clear view of the guys. Crosby and Nash still have their voices. Stills, not so much. A few really nice guitars up on stage with them. Found out that Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is tuned 'eeeebe.' I'd have loved to see these guys when they were young, but better late than never. I hadn't been to an arena show since Joni Mitchell/Dylan in 1998.

Given the crowd, the tour could've been sponsored by 'Depends.' :D

• Members

Still one of my favorite groups (does that date me LOL). We saw them quite a few years ago, Crosby had just gotten out of jail and it was reunion time. Half way thru the show they said "we have a special guest in the audience, would Bonnie Raitte come up"

And yes, Suite: is typical of a lot of Stills tunings, another that comes to mind is Tree Top Flyer.

• Members

Stills is a shadow of himself, but he has a weird sense of humour. In the middle of Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, he started noodling around with the Beatles' Within You, Without You.' I think he was playing a D-45, not sure, though. Nash was playing a beautiful little Lowden.

• Members

I'm over the group but they will have a top spot in my fading memory of good musical times. Never a concert goer, I went that time because the tickets were free and the timing was right, IIRC, but the extraneous sensory experience wasn't worth the listen. I do still watch utwobs of them and a select number of other same period artists.

I can't quite put my finger on it but Stills' plugged acoustic sound is pretty cool. It isn't acoustic, though. It's something else; maybe the Piezo characteristic. I've tried to duplicate it often with what I have but can't.

• Members

The more I learn about them, the more I realize that they are all lucky to be alive after all of their hedonistic escapades. The show they put on last week was excellent, the only weak element was Stills' voice. So, they didn't do Woodstock and a couple of others that Stills takes the lead on, but that didn't stop them from trading places in other songs. I'm glad I caught them on a good night. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Had pretty good seats, had a good clear view of the guys. Crosby and Nash still have their voices. Stills, not so much. A few really nice guitars up on stage with them. Found out that Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is tuned 'eeeebe.' I'd have loved to see these guys when they were young, but better late than never. I hadn't been to an arena show since Joni Mitchell/Dylan in 1998.

Given the crowd, the tour could've been sponsored by 'Depends.' :D

I saw Stills with his band a couple of months ago and, yeah, his voice has gotten pretty ragged. OTOH, his guitar playing remains stellar, and even though I've seen him probably 30 times (either solo or with CSN, CSN&Y, or Manassas) his electric playing just keeps getting better and was just killer this last time.

The EEEEBE tuning is one he uses for a lot of songs, and was taught to him by Bruce Palmer, the bassist for the Buffalo Springfield.

• Members

I've seen CSN several times in the past; this summer I finally got to see Graham Nash do a solo concert. (I am a big Nash fan and love his solo stuff.) He was in fine form and seemed to play a different guitar for every song. He even had a tech who brought him the proper harmonica and went to the keyboard to press buttons to change the sound. :D Must be nice. Next I;d like to see a Crosby/Nash show.

• Members

I'm glad we got to see them, and it was good that it was in a relatively intimate setting (about 5000 seats, I think). The tickets went on sale in July, so I says to my wife that we should go, make the tickets an anniversary present to us (given our anniversary is relatively close to the concert date). They are certainly a part of the musical history and historical narrative that resonates with me.

Stills' guitar playing was quite good, I enjoyed watching him play. Crosby was so chilled up there, he hardly moved, lol. Still, when it came time for him to belt out the songs that require belting out, his voice didn't fail him. Nash was obviously the frontman, and he showed a lot of energy for an old guy.

It amazes me that bands like CSN, the Stones, McCartney and co can still go out there and do what they do, and pretty well leave most younger bands looking like weak posers. Maybe 'cause I am becoming an 'old guy,' too, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I'm glad we got to see them, and it was good that it was in a relatively intimate setting (about 30,000 seats, I think). The tickets went on sale in June, so I says to my ex wife that we should go, make the tickets an anniversary present to us (given our anniversary is relatively close to the concert date They are certainly a part of the musical history and historical narrative that resonates with me.

Stills' guitar playing wasn't that good, I didn't really enjoy watching him play. Crosby was so chilled up there, he hardly moved, like a mummy in a tomb lol. Still, when it came time for him to belt out the songs that require belting out, his voice did fail him. Sash was obviously the frontman, and he showed a lot of energy for a youngish guy.

It amazes me that bands like CSN, the Ugly faced Stones, way past it also Paul McCartney and co can try go out there and do what they try, and pretty well leave most young bands looking like weak posers. Maybe 'cause I am becoming an 'old guy,' too, lol.

Ive been reading many posts in my time whilst here , and boy do you talk some utter pish boy ^

• Members

CSN is a group whose music is inseparable from their politics, of which I wholeheartedly subscribe. They didn't do much politiking, probably nothing compared to U2, which I've read can get pretty annoying, even to people who agree with their views.

Still, one for the ages. I've seen 2 Beatles, the Stones, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, and now CSN, live.

• Members

I saw that Joni Mitchel/Bob Dylan tour as well..... last time I saw CSN was with Young on the 2006 tour.... absolutely a great show. Some magic moments. Speaking of Young I saw him last month with his new band and I have to admit my expectations were low.... BUT he completely shocked everyone with how great he was with this new band.... He played 3 solid hours and broke curfew for the venue.

He played a lot of older songs and by the time he got to the new stuff everyone was completely satisfied.... He was jumping around on stage like his 20 something bandmates too.... Simply amazing.... Rolling Stone Mag calls it the best tour by Young in decades and I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived