VOM1T October 2015

garthman

• Members

Here's mine. Most of you know I'm a science fiction fan. One of the related activities is "filk," music with a science fiction/fantasy theme, or just plain silly songs. The local (St. Louis) SF convention, Archon, was last weekend and for the last three years there's been a "Tin Filker" contest. A theme is announced a week before the con and contestants are supposed to write a song in that time and have it ready to present Sunday afternoon. this year's theme was "Trickster Stars" and it was my first year entering. I didn't win but my song was well received. Here it is, titled (of course) "Trickster Stars": http://yourlisten.com/DeepEnd/tricksters.

• Members

garthman - Nicey done. Very moody and haunting.

tbry - Good job. I had a mental image of a city scene, dark and noirish, maybe a scene from a crime drama.

kukjozila - Nice job. Given the song's origins, I'd normally associate that one with a big old Martin. Shows what I know. Your archtop sounded fine.

riffmeister lives - Very well played. 'Way better than I can do.

• Members

Idunno - Lovely though I'm not familiar with it. Is that an original? Nice playing in any case.

^ tbry - Thanks very much. After I finished singing it at the con, a guy who is something of a "name" in filk asked me if he and his wife (who won) could cover it, which I thought was really neat.

• Members

A tip of the glass to all for another fine showing. Well done.

DE, I've been around music so long the ditty I posted is probably something or bits of everything I've heard before. I just can't say for sure. Every time I let the chords play out as they will I'm almost positive familiar territory is where they're taken from.

Archived