Dealing with a mono PA

Grant Harding

• Members

I had a solo gig on Monday at a convention centre and the client had a mixer that had no Pan controls on the channels. So despite my acoustic guitar and voice being processed with stereo reverb and delay I had to run them as 2 overlapping mono signals.

Is this common for you guys? If not, how do you mix your guitar and voice? Mono signals panned slightly for a bit of separation? Overlapping stereo signals? Voice up the middle and guitar slightly panned?

I think I'll supply the PA next time for these guys. :)

• Members

I have never heard of such a mixing board with out a pan knob on it. However I have done quite a few gig with just a Fishman solo amp and there is no pan on it. My SA 200 (now known as the Solo amp) sound very lovely.

I would consider it a major factor in the over all performance .

Just think of how nice it was to walk on stage, play the show and walk off.

c7dadae0-73e1-40eb-9dfa-b0b260ae74fd.JPG?1371672775

I have had monitor mixes that have been in stereo and more that have been in mono. I actually prefer the simpler mono mix in a monitor.

• Members

Yeah - I was perplexed. I've seen older inexpensive powered mixers like that, but this one had all the likely channel strip controls, including a dedicated compression control, but no pan and the master was a single pot rather than a pair of faders. Normally I use 4 channels and spread the guitar wider L/R than the voice, so I get the stereo effect plus some separation.

It wasn't a big deal, but set me back about 15 minutes while I tried to remember how to put my TC vocal processor in dual mono mode.

It seemed to sound fine, but so hard to judge. I was just background for 100 or so architects at a design expo, so not a very critical situation.

On the plus side it was one trip load in load out and I got parking right outside the service elevator. Woo hoo!

• Members
Yeah - I was perplexed. I've seen older inexpensive powered mixers like that, but this one had all the likely channel strip controls, including a dedicated compression control, but no pan and the master was a single pot rather than a pair of faders. Normally I use 4 channels and spread the guitar wider L/R than the voice, so I get the stereo effect plus some separation.

It wasn't a big deal, but set me back about 15 minutes while I tried to remember how to put my TC vocal processor in dual mono mode.

It seemed to sound fine, but so hard to judge. I was just background for 100 or so architects at a design expo, so not a very critical situation.

On the plus side it was one trip load in load out and I got parking right outside the service elevator. Woo hoo!

I'm sure you sounded just fine. Sometimes it difficult to tell when standing on stage, and you just wonder what the folks out front are actually hear. In the end you just can't worry about the details like than and dwell on them.

Really the last PA I saw with out a pan, might have been a Shure Vocal Master. :D

Which TC vocal processor are you using and how do you like it?

shurepahead.jpg

• Members

It's nice to see an artist that pays such attention to detail. However from having operated my own SR operation going on ten years now......... In that environment I don't believe one single person knew the difference. Mixing in stereo or panning can be a nice or even necessary technique to give the performance proper presentation. The other 90% of the time it is way down the list of "must-do" protocols. If you're that picky about your sound, I'm sure you still sounded great.

• CMS Author

While it's rare to see a console without pan controls, it's more rare that the actual mix is stereo.

Keep in mind that a stereo mix is rarely good in a live venue. It's impossible to control the room in a way that will render a balanced mix....one side will hear far more of the near channel than the far. Room reflection will also screw with the mix.

• Members

I'm sure you sounded just fine. Sometimes it difficult to tell when standing on stage, and you just wonder what the folks out front are actually hear. In the end you just can't worry about the details like than and dwell on them.

Really the last PA I saw with out a pan, might have been a Shure Vocal Master. :D

Which TC vocal processor are you using and how do you like it?

shurepahead.jpg

It's the TC Voicelive GTX. Nice little unit.

Archived