Breedlove DIscovery? Yamaha FG730s?

briandress

• Members

My goodness decisions are tough. I am looking for my first acoustic in a while. I have a few electric guitars and now i really want to play some different stuff and looking into the acoustcs at my local shop. I am a super over analytical person which kinda fudges up my decision making process. I thought i loved the FG730s but then the salesguy recommended the breedlove discovery and it played wonderfully. Then I played a seagull and it didnt really sound that great. I am in the sub$400 pricerange and it has to be new because its going on a credit card lmao. Any one have any advice/recommendations? Excited to be here and hoping some gypsy woman of a guitar comes along and just picks me out for herself so i dont have to choose. lol

• Members

First, welcome to the Forum. The default response hereabouts is Yamaha but I happen to like Breedloves and I find their budget models to be very good. I think you'd be well served by either. Member Mickey Maguire owns a Breedlove and with luck he'll be along to give his perspective. I salute you for wanting to patronize a local shop rather than a chain. Do you remember what other brands they stock or is it basically Yamaha, Breedlove, and Seagull? BTW, using a credit card doesn't mean you have to buy a new guitar. If you buy from a shop rather than, say, some guy from CraigsList, they'll be happy to take plastic for something used. Good luck in your search.

• Members

Don't give me too much credit. I'd love tongive my business to a local shop but its an Amazon credit card that has the funds available lol. Could wait for cash but don't really want to. I have the acoustic bug. I was at GC today playing and played almost every guitar in the low budget room. Came down to the breed love and the Yamaha. The seagulls I played just didn't feel nice for whatever reason, likely setup old strings and high action. The breed love felt the best to me. I'm actually trying to decide between a dread or a concert. They didn't have a concert there except for the electric one and I really don't want any electronics.

• Members

If you're that analytical, then consider this.

The Yamaha FG730S has laminated back and sides. The wood in the middle of the laminate is meranti. The wood you see on the outside is rosewood, but it is thin as paper. It is pretty, but it contributes nothing to the sound of the guitar. It'll cost you around $299.

The Yamaha FG700S also has laminated back and sides. The wood in the middle of the laminate is also meranti. The wood you see on the outside is nato, but it is also thin as paper. It is not necessarily as pretty as rosewood, but it also contributes nothing to the sound of the guitar. It'll cost you around $199.

Aside from the pretty bling that adds nothing to the sound (but around a hundred bucks to the price), the guitars are built identically. idea.gif

Yeah, you'll get people who tell you that the 730 sounds better. After all, they paid more for it.

• Members

That really makes a lot of sense. I am not sure about the results from my jam session but it really felt to me that of all the instruments i played in the low cost room that the Breedlove had the nicest sound and the most projection. The neck felt the best out of all of them and was really smooth. It may be an indication of how much I have not played acoustics but I picked up a 1500 taylor and a martin in a similar range and the breedlove felt almost as nice to me, well maybe not almost but much closer than the fenders, ibanez, yamahas and mitchels.

• Members

I did play a 3400 Martin that was absolutely amazing though. One day I will get an all solid one. But for now...just getting back into playing acoustics vs electrics..noddling around and practicing and preparing to play a song for my future wife at our wedding next year I think the breedlove will suffice.

• Members

The video says it pretty well. The guitars are well-built and sound great. The one I have has perfect intonation and the setup is wonderful. It is a pleasure to play and I don't mind taking it places. I have a habit of dragging guitars and ukuleles with me all across the country. I like having guitars that sound great, and are more durable because of the laminated back and sides. A solid top is a must if you want good tone and volume. The Discovery series gives you great quality without compromises. I hope this helps.

• Members
. . . . . it really felt to me that of all the instruments i played in the low cost room that the Breedlove had the nicest sound and the most projection. The neck felt the best out of all of them and was really smooth. It may be an indication of how much I have not played acoustics but I picked up a 1500 taylor and a martin in a similar range and the breedlove felt almost as nice to me. . . . .

No. It's not an indication of how much you've played an acoustic - it's because you like the way the guitar sounds and plays. All this talk of "you need an all-solid guitar to get a great sound", "solid back and sides gives a better sound than laminate", etc, etc is largely hype. A particular guitar sounds the way it does - period. If you like that sound, it's the one for you whatever anyone says. Appreciation of the sound is totally subjective and you are the subject that counts.

I've been playing guitar for over 45 years and for 30 of those years my guitar was an all-laminate model (top too). No-one - not one single person - has ever said "that guitar sounds crap". I have acquired a few more guitars since then and one of the new ones - an all-laminate - has become my most-played guitar. - because I like the way it sounds and plays.

• Members

I'm gravitating towards carbon fiber. In the past I've poo'd on them out of the tired old cliche's championing solid wood use only. I never even played one and yet tossed them under a bus just because I wanted to. The Rainsongs I've played lately are making me eat my words. No, they do not sound like the solid wood guitars, or even the laminated wood guitars, I've come to know or own. They have a distinct sound and I have to say it's a pleasant one to my ears. It's different. I see the future as something I want to be as carefree as possible in every respect. A carbon fiber guitar suits that pragmatism.

But, if I was on a limited budget I'd also eye the Breedlove product. I've always held it to be a smidge above its price-point competitors in quality, sound and playability.

Archived