VOM1T September 2015

garthman

• Members

Ashokan Farewell was the theme song to the public broadcasting documentary on the Civil War. A little anecdote - I was fooling around one night with a fiddle playing friend and he said he would teach me "Farewell to Ashokan". It was in some weird fiddle friendly key - Bb maybe - and had a couple of weird chords. My wife was listening to NPR (our public radio station) a few days later and heard the song, bought me the sound track to the documentary. Sometime after that I was taking a lesson from the great fingerstyle player Mark Hansen and I asked him if he knew the song - he taught me a very user friendly version in G which I promise to record for one of the next VOM's.

Just so I have something to contribute, how about the old Willie Johnson song "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground". This was included on the cd placed on the Voyager space craft as proof the intelligent life on earth could make music.. Not sure how it was selected and certainly my version is proof of nothing....

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Dark_Was_the_Night.mp3

Archived