I weep for Guitar Center and its customers

DeepEnd

• Members

Earlier today, I was near a local Guitar Center and I needed to pick up some strings. I couldn't find what I wanted and an employee walking by asked me if he could help. I told him what I was looking for and he asked, "Is phosphor bronze a brand of strings?" I explained that it wasn't. My guess is that he's an electric guy and that he probably understands nickel and stainless steel--or maybe he's a drummer or keyboard guy--but I was amazed that he hadn't at least picked up something by osmosis. All I can say is Wow!

• Members
Earlier today' date=' I was near a local Guitar Center and I needed to pick up some strings. I couldn't find what I wanted and an employee walking by asked me if he could help. I told him what I was looking for and he asked, "Is phosphor bronze a brand of strings?" I explained that it wasn't. My guess is that he's an electric guy and that he probably understands nickel and stainless steel--or [b']maybe he's a drummer or keyboard guy[/b]--but I was amazed that he hadn't at least picked up something by osmosis. All I can say is Wow!

Maybe he was covering the accessories booth while some one was at lunch or dinner. Who knows.

The employee turn over rate at the GC is really high.

• Members

I had a similar experience at Sam Ash the other day. I was after a certain cable and was looking for a rack mounted reverb/FX unit. The kid who tried to help me ended up just sort of hanging around trying to learn stuff from me. A more experienced employee later showed the knowledge the kid lacked. I guess we all have to start somewhere. The willingness to learn and a humble attitude goes a long way in cutting a beginner some slack. Most of us bring a lifetime of obcessing over gear to the table. Just to mess with their heads, next time ask for a Pocket Synclavier.

• Members

My experiences with local Guitar Centers have been mostly good. A very friendly knowledgeable, not too pushy staff that leaves me alone unless I need some help.

My only gripe with what is now my local GC is a lack of quality guitars other than dreadnoughts. (no 000-00 or parlors)

And my old neighborhood GC once had the most disorganized, sloppy acoustic room I've ever seen. One email to the mgr and that was rectified.

Sure, they have some young kids in the learning curve, no retailer is perfect. GC is generally pretty handy to have around.

• Members
Earlier today' date=' I was near a local Guitar Center and I needed to pick up some strings. I couldn't find what I wanted and an employee walking by asked me if he could help. I told him what I was looking for and he asked, "Is phosphor bronze a brand of strings?" I explained that it wasn't. My guess is that he's an electric guy and that he probably understands nickel and stainless steel--or maybe he's a drummer or keyboard guy--but I was amazed that he hadn't at least picked up something by osmosis. All I can say is Wow![/quote']

Keyboard players are smarter than that.

• Members
Keyboard players are smarter than that.

Probably. OTOH, our Music Director at church plays various keyboards and flute and she doesn't know beans about guitars or strings. Our bass player started out as a trumpet player and he still doesn't know anything about a bass except how to play it. Of course, he doesn't sell them either. sm-wink

• Members

I'll put on my Kevlar and take the opposite side.....................I've dealt with my closest GC (Reno, NV) several times in the past few years both buying new, used and trading in. With rare exception, I've always walked out happy with the deal I got. Trade-ins can be a hosing but my most recent occurrences of this were quite fair. In regards to knowledge, I think that for a bunch of kids, they don't do bad. Knowing that their true expertise is about zero, I do my own research before I go in and then buy what I need. I've also been in the Roseville, CA GC and found their staff to have the answers I needed. As those are the only two GC's I'm actually familiar with, I'll leave my opinions right there.

• Members
I'll put on my Kevlar and take the opposite side.....................I've dealt with my closest GC (Reno' date=' NV) several times in the past few years both buying new, used and trading in. With rare exception, I've always walked out happy with the deal I got. Trade-ins can be a hosing but my most recent occurrences of this were quite fair. In regards to knowledge, I think that for a bunch of kids, they don't do bad. Knowing that their true expertise is about zero, I do my own research before I go in and then buy what I need. I've also been in the Roseville, CA GC and found their staff to have the answers I needed. As those are the only two GC's I'm actually familiar with, I'll leave my opinions right there.[/quote']

Uh oh...This has turned into a Kevlar thread. Keep your heads down.

• Members

Maybe I'm an anomaly or something, but my experiences at GC have been good. I usually know what I am looking for but am open for suggestions. Friendly but not overbearing. Gave me extras without even asking (like 3 sets of Elixirs with new git with 15% discount). Once in error they gave me speaker cable instead of instrument cable (which I found out when I got back to Thailand). Apology and gave it to me correct one for free. Pre GC days in my town good luck on exchange or anything after laid money down, no 30 day trial, price match.

I have generally had good experiences at GC stores... including well before HC was owned by them (for those who have been hiding out under a rock for the past few months, GC no longer owns HC), but I knew the managers at the local stores and they knew who I was... I also made sure they knew that if they ever had a tech question about something that they could call me any time. Plus, when I go in, I typically know exactly what I want - I'm not relying on their product knowledge, I've already done my own research. Typically I call the store, tell them what I want and ask if they have it in stock, ask how much it's going to cost me, and tell them I'll be down in a few minutes to pick it up.

There aren't a lot of mom and pop music stores left in my area, so if I want to pick something up locally, it's either GC, Sam Ash, one or two small local stores, or a trip in to LA or OC...

• Members

We have our own version of GC with similar but not so huge corporate thinking and low pay.

Like Phil I always know what I'm after if I go there and if there's knowledge transfer it usually comes from me. I'd be staggered if some kid could give me good advice that I hadn't heard. I enjoy chatting with them if they initiate it.

• Members

You weep for Guitar Center and curse the employees. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of knowing what they don't know. That phosphor bronze strings while tragic, probably aren't a brand name. And their employees existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves customers time...

• Members
. . . Plus' date=' when I go in, I typically know exactly what I want - I'm not relying on their product knowledge, . . .[/quote']

Fortunately, I also knew what I wanted, I simply didn't see it. Turned out they--or at least this specific GC--don't stock heavy gauge phosphor bronze strings in any brand.

You wouldn't expect a part time worker at Home Depot to know if a particular fastener would be suitable for use on a boat.

No, but I'd expect him/her to know stainless steel isn't a brand of screws. I might also expect him/her to recognize that stuff used on boats gets wet and might rust if it's the wrong material.

You weep for Guitar Center and curse the employees. . . .

I'm not cursing anyone. You can be frustrated by someone or recognize ignorance without cursing him/her. Beyond that, I don't consider phosphor bronze strings "tragic," nor do I understand why you do. I'm not really sure what you mean by the rest of your post so I guess it's your turn to curse me and my grotesque, incomprehensible existence since you have the luxury of knowing what in the world you're talking about and I don't.

• Members

Strings and Beyond hasn't been that cheap lately w/its specials - at least not with the ones I buy. Plus I've had website problems with their site. So I went to music stores my recent trip back to the US. I even went to GC in Metairie. Stocked up on strings - a few less than I'd buy from S&B but they'll last me a year.

Archived